79 Cj-5 build!!!!

??? Shouldn't your shock mounts be on top of the springs? So you can use stock shocks or does the kit come with Taller shocks?

Sorry for the question I didn't see your link Makes sense now. Looks good, the jeep in the link had some serious flex.

Thanks Mickael, I know it its not a toyota but I wanted something thing that looks good but also could run the trails! :lol:

Sorry for the question I didn't see your link Makes sense now. Looks good, the jeep in the link had some serious flex.

The flex is why I did that kit, I did exactly what you see in the picture on their website all the way down to the used YJ springs.

Right now with no shocks or sway bars it is pretty loose so I am hopeful I will get he flex they show.

Well got the interior done this weekend looks pretty good!
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0137.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0139.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0138.jpg

Got the majority of the wiring completed today and was pleasantly surprise once it was complete I hit the key and it fired right up and sat there idling. It was great because I thought the carter carb was shot but it was actually I didn't get the timing exactly right when I put the new distributor in.

I had the distributor about an 1/4 turn to far retarded once I made a quick adjustment to it it fired right off.

What size tires are you planning on running? I like the dash where did you pick it up at? Its looking good.

I'm Planning on running at least 35x12.50 I may even go as big as 36's.

I got the dash off ebay from a company in Pittsburgh, PA makes them I think the name is Logans Metal Fabrication.

Well I got mine to a stopping point now Mickael so next weekend I will be free if you are working on your buggy.

Spent the last 2 weekends tearing the Dana 30 down so I could replace all bearings, seals U-joints and Ball joints. Also installed a Yukon lunch box locker while I had it torn down.
-
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0144.jpg

-
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0145.jpg

Been slow going as of late been busy with work, didn't make opening day as I had originally planned but I have plans to go to URE April 30 so it must be done by then.

Did get the windshield frame installed and some more wiring done.
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_IMG00306.jpg

Well I finally drove it for the first time since I bought it 5 months ago. It was pretty harry since I didn't have any shocks or sway bar on it yet. Pretty wild ride!!!!!
-
Her are some pics of it out side finally!
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0186.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0187.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0188.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0189.jpg

Build up looks good man. I'm just starting my 1980 CJ5 build, and I'm wondering what you did with the rear driveshaft? Did you lower the t-case? Buy a CV shaft, or just extend the one you have... how does it work? any vibration?

Also what type of paint did you paint with... doesn't look like it orange peeled hardly at all.

Dave

For the drive shafts I had two XJ front drive shafts shortened, this gave me CV drive shafts front and rear. I do not have the shocks installed yet so I only took it for a short drive, it seemed to be pretty good. I do not have a transmission drop in it.

Greensboro u pullit has about 20 XJ's thanks to cash for clunkers so I got the drive shafts for $12.50 a piece and hten I had Olive's in Winston Salem shorten them. So I have about $70 a piece in the drive shafts.

As for the paint that is a rattle can paint job using Duplicolor base and clear coat.

Well finally got this thing finished for and took it for its first trail ride this weekend here is what it looked like before I left for URE in NC.
-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0194.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0195.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0196.jpg

-
ai357.photobucket.com_albums_oo11_jdurant75_79_20Jeep_20CJ_20_5_DSCI0197.jpg

-
-
-
When it came home it looked pretty the same but the drag link was V shaped and the fan was through the

Think i seen you at ure last weekend. I see what your was talking about now. as far as being in pieces. Good job seems like a solid jeep

Nice Job!! Looks great! Do you remember the DupliColor color? How many cans did it take?

Thanks I'm pleased with the way it turned out. The color is Chrysler paint code PB3 Intense Pearl Blue, Duplicolor part # T359. It is the same color as a 98 Ram 1500 I had.

Think i seen you at ure last weekend. I see what your was talking about now. as far as being in pieces. Good job seems like a solid jeep

Yeah that was me, it is a pretty good Jeep but i have some work to do before it goes back to URE. I had a lot of trouble trying to crawl due to the piss poor gear ratio in it. I am now planning to change out to a newer 4 speed Tranny, Dana 300 transfer case and 4.88 gears.

Bump for a good looking CJ. The paint job is sweet, I can't believe its all rattle can. How much did the locker run ya? And so you know I've used my winch about 25 times and I don't know how I got along with out it.

Bump for a good looking CJ. The paint job is sweet, I can't believe its all rattle can. How much did the locker run ya? And so you know I've used my winch about 25 times and I don't know how I got along with out it.

I got the locker from a supplier on Ebay for $234 w/Free shipping, it is a Sparton and comes with a new hardened pin. The paint looked great until I went to URE this weekend something in the mud ate the clear coat I sprayed on, I'm going to wet sand it and try the newer Duplicolor clear see if holds up better.

Once i finish regearing mine a winch is the next thing on the list!

Man I would love to have a CJ5 like that, fairly stock and not all cut up. I had a 66 in High school, seeing this sure does bring back some memories.

Back