79 Ford Dana 60 Camber

Croatan_Kid

How's your hammer hangin'?
I did a solid axle swap on my 99 Silverado and used a 79 Ford 60 and a 2500HD 11.5 AAM rear. I set the caster at 3* which works great and is a decent compromise with my pinion anlge since the transfer case is flat from the factory in the Silverado. I did swap to an NP241C with a JB Conversions SYE, but that's beside the point.

With the caster set at 3 to 4*, as it is now, my camber is around 2* positive. I'd like to be fairly close to zero or possibly a small amount negative, but certainly not positive. I seen offset bushings for the uppper kingpin and the adjustable lower kingpins and I don't want to use either because as the upper bushings wear out I'll lose my camber and the lower adjustables won't stay tight.

Does anybody know where/if I can still get the spindle shims?

I tried the local Advance and they couldn't get them, but I've found them here and there on the internet.

Come to find out, every listing for shims shows a 6 bolt spindle and says it will also fit GM and Dodge. Nobody makes a 5 bolt Ford spindle shim. Bummer.

Ideas anyone?

Rockauto lists Moog, Raybestos, and AC Delco. They look like they're drilled for both patterns.

The problem is, they have 12 holes. One way is for positive camber, the other is for negative. I can't see where it will fit a 5 bolt spindle at all. I don't think the 5 and 6 bolt patterns are on the same bolt circle either. I've read where a few other guys have run into this problem in the past, but I'm still looking for a solution.

Anybody have any tips or tricks? Possibly personal experience with adjustable lower kingpins?

Buy the shim, mark the pattern, drill it, install. Its not rocket surgery!

That was in the back of my mind, but I dont have a Chevy and Ford spindle disassembled to compare the bolt patterns. It's probably close enough. However, I may have just found a company with the last remaining stock of shims.

I went with Ingalls Engineering adjustable lower kingpins. They looked a little more well built than the Moog parts. JC Whitney had them for 76 bucks a piece.

Already called them. Everybody still has the 6 bolt shims for Chevy/Dodge Dana 60s, but not the 5 bolt ones for a Ford 60. I searched the internet for hours and hours.

cosmos enterprises in minnesota quit making them 10 years ago, but they will custom make them for you in any degree you need. try Arn Wood company in Englewood Colorado. I just bought a couple from them.

I got lower adjustable kingpins, but good to know somebody can still make them.

So, as an impulse buy, I snagged some Reid Racing knuckles for my HP60. Guess what! No more positive camber issues! All of the Reid Dana 60 knuckles are apparently the same castings/forgings and they just drill a 5 bolt pattern in the ones for Fords. Upon further measuring, I found the spindle face of the factory knuckles to have been causing my issues. If any of you other guys have the same issues and are using stock knuckles, ditch them for some Reids and it'll solve your problems!

Nice! I was going to say I was pretty sure the spindle shim I had laying around here had both patterns on it as it came off of the HP60 that I stripped to build my front axle.

Finally! :flipoff2:

Glad that fixed ya. Proper steering geometry is nice. I've got 8 degrees on my GM 60 and it handles like a champ!

8 degree of caster? Good Lord...you only need 3 degrees or so on a Dana 60! My problem was camber though. Tops of the tires were leaned out 2 degrees. I must admit, with the 2500HD brakes up front now, it damn sure stops better too! It also looks much cleaner and is easier to work on and find parts.

Yes, 8*. I built the rig on less, (6*) and then experimentally switched to 8* and left it since i thought it rode and handled better.

How's the pinion angle?

I was thinking about it earlier today....tire width, rim offset, and scrub radius have a lot to do with how well it returns to center too. Makes sense that it might need more caster to help it out.

A buddy of mine runs a 86-88 Ford kp 60 front in his TJ and has somewhere between 7-9*. I believe there's a lot more factors to it but he runs unbalanced 40" mud grapplers on Trail gear beadlocks and no hydro assist currently. Stock box, all heim joints. Its his daily driver and I've personally rode in this up to 90 mph down the interstate and its smooth as silk.

Back