8.1 Suburban

Covidflation

So, devils advocate. Find a comparable and capable SUV with the specs, ratings, reliability, mileage, and tow capacity of that burb for the money.
my 2020 Denali makes the same power. If not more stock. Just don’t have them in the 2500 (or that I have looked for) It’s definitely a lot more comfortable than my 2005 Denali. But not sure the longevity. I’d definitely rock one but that price is wild, and it’s only worth that because someone is willing to pay that. I’m also a firm believer from being in the field I’d rather have one with higher miles that was used and taken care of than a vehicle that spent its life sitting around.

I’d rather have one with higher miles that was used and taken care of than a vehicle that spent its life sitting around.
People don't realize that "like new" vehicles with less than 50k but more than 15 years will be chasing gaskets forever. The AC will never hold Freon, the engine and trans won't hold fluids, the power steering will forever be giving you issues.

Unless you take said "mint" vehicle and replace every hose, and gasket, it's always one blowout away from leaving you on the side of the road.

Having said THAT.... I'd still take that, at that price over anything made in the last 8-10 yrs.
my 2020 Denali makes the same power. If not more stock.
And that's the last year of a solid axle. And while you're smart enough to be able to deactivate the AFM/DFM, between that and the lack of any optics on the tranny, I'm just not a fan of anything in a 1500 full size SUV market in the last few years. My boss rocked a 2019 tahoe for 63k before the trans had an unscheduled rapid disassembly. Apparently it got too hot (he NEVER towed with it, just drove to work and job sites) and with no gauges he kept on driving till it literally grinded to a stop. Had it towed to the stealership and argued with them about warranty....then $7k later picked it up and drove it to carmax.

I've got a good motor (6.0) as well as the bigger brakes (even IF I still have a sus trans) but, I'm good with my 2011 2500 burb.

People don't realize that "like new" vehicles with less than 50k but more than 15 years will be chasing gaskets forever. The AC will never hold Freon, the engine and trans won't hold fluids, the power steering will forever be giving you issues.

Unless you take said "mint" vehicle and replace every hose, and gasket, it's always one blowout away from leaving you on the side of the road.

Having said THAT.... I'd still take that, at that price over anything made in the last 8-10 yrs.

And that's the last year of a solid axle. And while you're smart enough to be able to deactivate the AFM/DFM, between that and the lack of any optics on the tranny, I'm just not a fan of anything in a 1500 full size SUV market in the last few years. My boss rocked a 2019 tahoe for 63k before the trans had an unscheduled rapid disassembly. Apparently it got too hot (he NEVER towed with it, just drove to work and job sites) and with no gauges he kept on driving till it literally grinded to a stop. Had it towed to the stealership and argued with them about warranty....then $7k later picked it up and drove it to carmax.

I've got a good motor (6.0) as well as the bigger brakes (even IF I still have a sus trans) but, I'm good with my 2011 2500 burb.
Yea the irs is a killer for me even for a family school bus. Won’t do that. That’s the reason I got the one I did. It’s there is if I need it. I wish the 08 eras didn’t have so much cosmetic issues. They would be a rock solid ride outside of that and motor mounts lol

my 2020 Denali makes the same power. If not more stock. Just don’t have them in the 2500 (or that I have looked for) It’s definitely a lot more comfortable than my 2005 Denali. But not sure the longevity. I’d definitely rock one but that price is wild, and it’s only worth that because someone is willing to pay that. I’m also a firm believer from being in the field I’d rather have one with higher miles that was used and taken care of than a vehicle that spent its life sitting around.
Weren't you bitchin about towing with that Denali when you came to pick up the Pimpala? :stirthepot:

I'm one of those people that spent $23k on an 8.1 suburban last year, no ragrets. Sold my 2022 gmc 3500 and would rather replace some rubber stuff than have a payment, would rather fix it myself than have to go the dealer everytime.
Just praying that the engine and transmission will hold all the fluids and the freon doesn't leak out🤞:D

I am not a huge fan of red but I made an exception for this one. I think $27k was a steal. Yall can hate all you want while I drive this fire engine back and forth to school to pick up my kids with the windows down because the AC doesn’t work and dripping fluids all over car line like a dog marking his territory. Then I will bust out my 90s CD collection and watch all the moms flock to peep my ride. You know a player has to play! :huggy:

Another reason i went old instead of new. Seems like all the new 6 8 and 10 speeds burn up quickly. Dad has a 2017 2500, new transmission at 53k miles, wife just got a 2018 tahoe with 50k miles and already had the transmission replaced before we got it.
Every 4l60e or 4l80e I ever had never got a fluid change, was overloaded regularly, and lasted 200k+ miles. Ymmv

Weren't you bitchin about towing with that Denali when you came to pick up the Pimpala? :stirthepot:

I'm one of those people that spent $23k on an 8.1 suburban last year, no ragrets. Sold my 2022 gmc 3500 and would rather replace some rubber stuff than have a payment, would rather fix it myself than have to go the dealer everytime.
Just praying that the engine and transmission will hold all the fluids and the freon doesn't leak out🤞:D
I wouldn’t like towing with the 8.1 either lol 😂 I like my old ragged out Cummins haha. Only reason I got the new Denali was ole lady was Tahoe shopping and I knew she would come home one day with a payment. Went and found a steal on it and scooped it. She hated it but grew to love it…. Til I got her a new impala haha 😂 now she likes them mpgs

Another reason i went old instead of new. Seems like all the new 6 8 and 10 speeds burn up quickly. Dad has a 2017 2500, new transmission at 53k miles, wife just got a 2018 tahoe with 50k miles and already had the transmission replaced before we got it.
Every 4l60e or 4l80e I ever had never got a fluid change, was overloaded regularly, and lasted 200k+ miles. Ymmv
All new transmissions are trash from what I see. Sucks all the way around. Ours had been great for several years now, knock on wood.
IMG_7511.jpeg

Didn’t know they made them in Quadra steer
I've seen numbers in the neighborhood of 7,500 Suburbans and Yukon XLs total from 2002-2005 with quadrasteer. There aren't many out there. But, they're all 6.0s. 8.1s do bring the $$$ as well.

I wouldn’t like towing with the 8.1 either
I took the cats off my 8.1/allison truck and towed to the ranch last weekend. Made a big difference on how hard the motor worked. Spent a lot more time in lower RPMs
I still only got 8.7 mpg :shaking:

IMG_20240120_081555790.jpg

@CasterTroy @CarolinaHD

Any (every) GM product with the rubber ball seal on the high pressure fitting is going to leak freon eventually :D

Dorman 800-955 has a Schrader valve. I haven't had an AC leak in years! If I ever have to empty the AC system on any of my vehicles, they always get one.

Screenshot_20240912_214318_Samsung Internet.jpg

Back