8-17.5 Tires

chris

cltdba
I need to put 6 new tires on the shaggin' wagon. (Winnebago) It's currently running 8-17.5 D load tires. I believe that means they're an 8 ply. I called Brothers in Kannapolis and got a quote on some Double Coin RT500s for $1010 out the door. (They are 10 ply tires.) I've tried looking for 8R17.5 as well and that seems to turn up more results as far as name brands go, but I'm still clueless as to where a good place is to get them for a great price.

Does anyone know of any other places I could find these oddball sized tires? What about changing the rims and going to a more common sized tire, any suggestions?

Try Wayne’s Tire too. That is an odd ball matching the overall diameter on a different size will be difficult.

typically the 8 means the sidewall height and tread width... Is it 8 lug or an older pattern? If 8lug I would consider going to another wheel size but idk that you would be able to get out with 6 wheels/tires for under $1k.

It's an 8 lug yes. Not sure which axles it has under it but the chassis is a Dodge. What wheel size would you go to?

I wonder if a 17 would clear the brakes? Dunno why they put 17.5s on them. Anyone know where to get 17" wheels for this thing? I assume regular dually style wheels would work? :confused:

Depends on the off set. 19.5's would seem like a natural choice BUT most common 19.5 tires are much taller than what you have. Say a 225/70/19.5 is going to be 32 inch tall compared to 30 or so on the 8R17.5. Another factor with dual rears is making sure the witdth is Ok as you don't want the rears to rub.

I'd go with 16"s just for the sake of easier to find tires

I need to put 6 new tires on the shaggin' wagon. (Winnebago) It's currently running 8-17.5 D load tires. I believe that means they're an 8 ply. I called Brothers in Kannapolis and got a quote on some Double Coin RT500s for $1010 out the door. (They are 10 ply tires.) I've tried looking for 8R17.5 as well and that seems to turn up more results as far as name brands go, but I'm still clueless as to where a good place is to get them for a great price.

Does anyone know of any other places I could find these oddball sized tires? What about changing the rims and going to a more common sized tire, any suggestions?

That is actually a good price for the 8R17.5's. I priced them for about 975.00 out the door. I don't think you will buy new tires for a 16 or 17 much cheaper especially if you have to buy rims too. Just my opinion.

In the same search mode here - need tires before the 74 Winnebago goes to Spring Charlotte. Fronts are scary old and that is alot of weight on some skinny rubber already.

If radials are readily available in that size let me know what brand(s) to look at/stay away from. As few miles a year as that 5 mpg beast rolls I kinda hate to but bias on the steering axle but not sure if it is gonna be on the road much longer anyway.

The 8 in the 8-17.5 is the cross section width. The D is the load rating which happens to be 8 ply (E is 10 ply). The 17.5 has a rim profile like the old 16.5s where they can be broken free of the bead fairly easily, unlike more modern profiles that lock the bead to the rim edge.

We have a mix of tube type and tubeless tires on our Winnie due to replacements over time so either style is available. If the rims are in good shape tubeless will get you out of paying for an oddball tube size.

FYI - Piedmont Truck Tires quoted me $168 per for 8R17.5s while the local guy I usually use quoted $463 for 2 mounted/balanced. Can't afford either one but got to have new tires so there goes my Charlotte money - as usual.

Measure your hub diameter, and check the clearance around the brakes. If it won't fit 16s maybe stock steel 17s from a newer Dodge will fit, or look into the 19.5 bread truck wheel takeoffs and have the hub hole bored out. If you stay with the 17.5s, make sure you have a good spare as well, as that will be a hard tire to track down if you have a flat somewhere.

Back