8" pipe caps for toy housing

Brownsxj

Im in the Boone area and I've talked to the main metal supply shops but I can't find a source for 8" pipe caps. I would like to make the usual armor for the toy housing.
If anyone could supply me a source for Boone area or close by like lenior it would be awesome.

I looked at all the different options for armor. I really want to do the pipe cap like PJ did on his V8 buggy with toy axles build.
He cut out the fill plug side of the pumpkin and welded in a full piece pipe cap. I think it looks pretty cool and will give great protection. I might even use the fill plug from trail-gears website.

pipe cap

It works great.. i like the looks of the peice referred to at ECGS better than pipe caps but i know the caps are bomb proof. 3/8 thick. I used them if i had to cut off stock cover for rear steer apps. I also filled in the bottom with weld and ground it smooth like a ramp on some and it worked great. You will need to cut some of the pipe cap off. I set them up with about 1/4 inch of clearance from the ring gear... good luck. PJ

I was hoping that pj would input on this since I got the idea from him originally. By cuttin it down you mean that you have to just take off some of the opening/ diameter?...is that just for better fit to the 8" diameter?
Also DAWGTOY, is $56 is a going rate or is that just markup? I remember hearing them being like $30. Just curious because I would really like to know. For $56 I cold definetly try to move a different route than a pipe cap like the BLUETORCHFAB diff cover. IT is like $59 for a pre-fabricated cover.

Try Hajoca or Eastern Industrial Supply (EISI). I think they both have a website and both ship. If they don't list it as a pipe cap, try asking for a well cap. Same difference.

Yeah Im leanin towards the covers now I guess. I just wanted to do something that felt more hands on.
My axle housing I got originally had some rust on it but I grinded it all down. I was easy on the ring gear portion of the housing because it was only an 1/8 in thick at the most and it seemed to have a little pitting. It had a little pin hole leak spring up from about the fill plug level on the opposite side of the ring gear extrusion. I figured to prevent it again I could cut out that portion and put a pipe cap on for replacement/ armor (Two birds with one stone). But trusses and shock mounts are on and axle is mounted again so I'll figure it out later.

Back