8.x mpg with Ex/Camper to/from beach?

SHINTON

Just wanted to see if I should be alarmed or just pay the bill for the "speed" and not worry about it?

2002, 7.3L stock everythingish, no upgrades yet. 4x4, automatic (they all are I think), the only change is I put on BFG A/T tires, stock size, (they have load range E now) and ran 70ish psi in them.

Pulling a 27' camper, weighs 5080lbs empty, so figured 14,000 or so pounds total weight between camper and excursion/loaded. (W/D hitch, etc, good brakes on the camper)

Ran 2500 to 2750 rpms most of the way, 70% interstate, where I am doing 70mph or just under and rest was doing 60ish mph. A few stop/start areas in the small towns...betw Gso and Myrtle

I figure I "could" slow down and maybe gain a couple mpg at best, I would have sworn I got about 10-11mpg last summer pulling a different camper to the beach but could not swear to it. Might have been a couple thousand pounds lighter camper too so...

Ok...so, factors I figure are contributing, I did go ahead and run the 65-70 mph and did NOT have O/Drive engaged!! I know that the top of the camper creates alot of winddrag...45psi in all 4 of the camper tires so they were good...listed most of the factors?

I am a little disapointed with 8.x mpg...heck I figure a gas engine would get me that?!? (Some of you gas powered tow rigs may know better tho?)

I assume I should NOT pull in O/D, you are taking a chance the torque converter will be slipping (14k weight) and having tranny issues? I am sure if I could do o/d it would drop the rpms down a LOT but not sure it is worth the risk vs $ more in fuel?

I know a "better" tranny gauge would tell me the temps, but it wouldn't tell me if I was having excessive slippage/locking/unlocking of torque converter?

Ok...would love any opinions and thoughts or worries that I am getting abnormal mileage. (I get 15.x around town...and got 17.5 last year to/from KY, all interstate running 70ish mph with no trailer!)

Sam

....camper is probably acting like a big "sail" w/ LOTS of drag, coupled w/ the speed (rpms)....not a good formula for mileage.

Sounds like a nice set-up though!

I get 8 to 9 in my J-10 pulling my Jeep and heavy trailer. BUt I don't do those kinda speeds normally. Speed limit and five under except the hills, and then I am REAL slow.
Something on top of the excursion to deflect the air(big sail as Yagar said) Tire pressure you mentioned, that's good. What about other resistance? As in trailer bearings? Tire wear from last year to this year? Alignment? Air filter? Just a few thoughts.

Running in OD would have had a big impact. There is an rpm limit that you should stay above to avoid TC slip. I seem to remember for Dodges it being around 1600 rpm; above that and the pressure is high enough to maintain TC lockup. I tow in OD all the time, even when I had Kermit. Less sail area than your camper, but more weight (about 18k or so) and I have taller tires with 3.73 gears. Got 11 to 12 mpg. I'd find out for your Ford what that lower rpm limit is.

A tranny gage is a must even if you decide to tow with no OD. I pulled a 9% grade from TN to NC with Kermit in tow...without the gage, I would have not seen the temp cruising up to 220F and potentially beyond.

No solution for you Sammy, but...
I sure do feel good that my $3k non-turbo 7.3 POS w/ 187,THOUSAND miles gets 17mpg on the open road and got 9mpg hauling a Jeep over Old Fort mtn. a few weekends ago! (6200# load & crested doing about 40mph)! :D

I tow in OD unless I'm about to hit a steep grade. Def. get an aftermarket tranny temp guage. My factory guage won't move until my autometer hits about 215. Not too accurate.

Especially on flat ground like going to the beach, let the thing rest, put it in overdrive. I had a 99 cummins automatic and the overdrive button on the end of the shifter broke, so it had to have overdrive "on" all the time. I pulled twice the weight you're moving for 100,000 miles, all in OD. No issues.

The only time i would disengage overdrive would be in situations where the tranny can't make up its mind. Like 50-55 mph going up and down hills. But on the highway, OD all the way.

Fuel milage

I got around 12/13 mpg with the 96 Ford Powerstroke 5sp, 1 ton 4x4 dually pulling a 32 ft fith wheel camper at 65-70 mph. The 97 Dodge would run 14/15 mpg pulling the same camper. I got 12 mpg grossing 18,000 with the 03 Dodge to Tellico thru Robbinsville, not a good comparison because it is up hill both ways into that area. I have not done a decent road trip yet to get an idea how this one will do.
I would think your Powerstroke should do at least 12mpg, but I have never owned a diesel with an auto tranny.

I am hearing alot of USE O/D on the dieselstop excursion board too so...prob will try it. Good excuse to spend a few bucks on tranny guage, which then means I might as well put in a pyro while I am there and boost.....

...which then leads to getting some nice programs from Jody...heh

Sam

SHINTON said:
Good excuse to spend a few bucks on tranny guage, which then means I might as well put in a pyro while I am there and boost.....

...which then leads to getting some nice programs from Jody...heh

Sam

And that's how it all gets started! Its alot of fun, but start saving NOW.

Back