81 toy build

chromerunner

The Scrambler
Starting a build thread for a 81 toy i picked up. It will be slow going. Goal for the build is a crawler/recovery rig for my cherokee.
build plan/options
22r on pane
single case with 4.7's
lots O tube
options are
axles are in the air right now i have
D44/D60 8lug vs building the toy axles
right now im going with the D44/60 but still up in the air
also still up in the air on susp...so far looks like rears up front and 63's out back.
Pulled it in fri night late and got on it yesterday and today. heres the pics i got so far
when she rolled in
100_1680.jpg

bed off
100_1682.jpg

100_1683.jpg

cleaned up
100_1688.jpg

100_1694.jpg

what i got to pull tomorrow
100_1690.jpg

IMO, I'd stick w/ the Toy axles, build them a little, and keep the 44/60 for a non-toy vehicle... which you will inevitably have later.
Is something up w/ the 22r, so it needs pulling out?

86 the cherokee, sell it off to fund this build. chop the frame behind the cab and run links and coil overs out back. stick to 35's and keep the stock axles. a vortech 4.3L would be nice if you could find one cheap.

no matter what you do, youve got the start of a very cool rig.

I'm starting a 9" with yota outer combo. Stick with the yota axles. The only reason I'm doing this is the 42 Iroks.

Cromo 44 shafts are hard to get for some reson right now. A buddy of mine has been trying to find a "good" set for a while now.

One call to Bobby and you got an axle that is stronger than any yoke and u-joint combo out there IMO.

Just my 2 cents

Hey man!I know where you could get a band new set of marlin birfileds at for prob about 225 just let me know!

Cromo 44 shafts are hard to get for some reson right now. A buddy of mine has been trying to find a "good" set for a while now.

One call to Bobby and you got an axle that is stronger than any yoke and u-joint combo out there IMO.

Just my 2 cents

give us a call on those 44 shafts, we can get them for you

update.

I HATE toyotas! stupid rusted up bolts....

got the motor pulled today along with the tranny and tcase, also got the doors off and gutted the inside. ohh and threw some paint on the naked rear frame section for now.

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i134_icepritchard_100_1696.jpg

100_1695.jpg

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i134_icepritchard_100_1697.jpg

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i134_icepritchard_100_1698.jpg

ai71.photobucket.com_albums_i134_icepritchard_100_1699.jpg

That thing has a little rust! I thought you were building a buggy or something, did you scrap that idea?
I was for awhile. Had alot of parts for it and etc but couldnt decide on a few things and decided to build one later down the road when i have everything planned out better. BTW the nissian is looking good:beer:

wait....you gotta 351 in the drive way dont ya? wonder if you could squeeze that in there.

^ ya but its got a date to go to greenville soon. I did bring out the tape and see how much space i got to work with in the engine bay. Not gona lie i did see how much of a pita it would be to drop in a 4.0/aw4....can see all yall toy guys now. haha

I think right now the best option for me is 22r on pane just for the simpleness of the setup.

My two cents...

22 on pane, 5 speed, dual cases, built Yota axles, good steering, 35-37's and beat on it. Has worked for YEARS on a million Yota's...there's a reason.

Keep it simple with gearing and ground clearance. Cant go wrong there.

I was for awhile. Had alot of parts for it and etc but couldnt decide on a few things and decided to build one later down the road when i have everything planned out better. BTW the nissian is looking good:beer:

Word. This yota should be sweet. Thanks, I'm going to work on it a little more this weekend.

I'll give ya $200 for those rusty ol' axles, and then you can continue on with the dream of having a full width Yota! ;)

Seriously, if you do run them, truss, truss, truss. Get the knuckle ball gussets, beef up the factory trusses, etc. I've seen a lot of "good stock" Yota axles lately that were bent. Apparently it doesn't take that much to do it!

well shes been sitting in the shop with a cover over it for a lil while. Been really slacking and just not motivated to work on it :? . Went to DPG saturday, did a little wheeling and got the bug back in my system. Pulled the jeep in and retired it for the year so i decided to mount up the 37's for a little motivation. Got the fenders pulled and gona be ready to do some sawzaw work tomorrow....bye bye front clip. stay tuned.

100_1720.jpg

100_1721.jpg

Hey man where were you saturday!?I tried finding ya but all I could ever see were tons of jeeps ans land rovers haha!We didnt make it down to dpg but had a good time at uwharrie,I like the yota looks like you have your work cutt out for ya!

Back