84 CJ 7 304 AMC

ghost

A friend @Albert77 recently traded for a 84 CJ 7 with the 304. Like most old jeeps it has some things he's like to change. I pointed him this way but can't seem to find his thread. So I thought I'd try and increase my knoledge and help a friend. First thing is he says it has a tiny electric fan and he'd like to go back to stock. It's over heating. Second is the 3 speed, which he'd like a more streetable 4 speed or maybe even a 5 speed. Plan for jeep is URE trips and camping trips with his wife and son.

imagejpeg_0.jpeg

Said Jeep.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard @Albert77
My $.02 re: cooling... either upgrade the electric fan to something not "tiny" *OR* find a stock diameter clutch fan (I ran a flex-fan for a while and hated the noise) and measure for spacer off the waterpump pulley... done
Also:
- a fan shroud goes a LONG way towards keeping them cool
- unless the radiator has been replaced, having it dipped/pressure tested will give you peace of mind (mine was FULL of pinholes, so replaced with OE/all metal "HD")
- confirm timing and fueling... both can have an effect on engine temp (too advanced or too lean)

As far as "streetable" tranny swaps (guessing that means OD?)... there are a host of options chronicled by both Advanced Adapters and Novak. Let your fingers do the walking and pocketbook decide

I cool a 401 and 360's in CJ's with a factory 7 blade Clutch fan, shroud and good 3 (4 for the 401) core radiator.
As Caver said options are limitless for transmission choices if you can pay the Advanced Adapators (or Novak) Tax. Novaks website has incredibly good technical information on transmission swap choices.
the best Factory combinations would probably be the T18/Dana20 or the T176/177 Dana300.

Thank you @ghost and you all yall others. Lol. It is a 84 cj7 with the 304 and fiberglass body. (Not a fan of). I will be asking more later, but for now I will be researching.

I found a fan but can't find the shroud. So I'm not opposed to electric fans, but I feel I need to upgrade the radiator to a 3 line aluminum HD one with E fans. Thoughts on the best one? Thank you too.

Someone on here might can help with finding a shroud. Hell we might can make one. Just need some sheet metal.

Prepare for the future, If you go with a bigger better aluminum radiator, go ahead and get one with either a full size fan or two fans, with a built in shroud. At the same time, I'd go ahead and upgrade the alternator too. Other wise, at night with lights on, cooling fans and maybe the wipers all going, it can bite you in the ass as you will be running off the battery instead of the alternator. As far as the trans goes, @amcjeepman hitthe nail on the head with his suggestions. But as far as "streetable" depending on the gears in the diffs, you will be at a 1:1 ratio in high gear. A 5 speed won't be as tough as the T-18 or even the 176.177. The T-18 will give you some lower gears for the trail though. Me, I'd go with a T350 and leave the clutching to someone else.

When I check fitment says it does not fit the 84 CJ7 but then it gave options. Didn't even thing to check Omnix ADA.

Of course they aren't cheap.

As mentioned, if you want something best for offroad, i would look at t18/19/np435/sm465 etc. If street driving I would consider the t176 or ax15/nv3550 for OD.

I recently acquired an AX15 external slave with all the parts to swap into a CJ. Then my 258 blew apart... if you're interested in the trans pm me.

Back