85 22re codes

chuckwhut

pulled two codes... 6 and 10. the only symptoms i seem to have (that i know of) are smelly exhaust (burning oil? doesn't really smoke or anything?) and it's slow to start most of the time. not that it turns over slow, it turns over fine. it just takes a while for it to spark up and run. best place to start?
just for easy reference...
awww.4crawler.com_4x4_CheapTricks_Images_85diagnosticcodes.gif

ohm out the distributer and see if is with in spec, ohm out ignitor and see if it is with in spec. if you need an ignitor the perry junkyard has a few you can borrow.

interesting afternoon...went to the stealership to check on the price of 4 new injectors...mainly out of curiosity. when i did the tune up the other day, i thought the plugs looked white, like it was running lean. so my theory was...slow to start, plugs show lean, bad smelling exhaust, and the occasional sputtering loss of power....maybe my injectors were going/gone bad. i showed my old plugs to the mechanincs at the shop there and they said they looked fine. so maybe it's not lean. but i told them i wanted to take the injectors off and test them and they told me there was no possible way to do that, even though i'm sitting here looking at the FSM outlining how to do it. so i don't know.

oh yeah, i went to crank it, and it didn't, as usual, so i turned off the key and turned it back on...nothing. i mean not a slow try, not one noise. great. i sat there for a while checking fuses, checking grounds from the battery to the starter, etc. everything looked fine. but key makey no noisey. no starty. so i ask the stealers for a jump, and he hooks the jump pack up (he actually hooked it up backwards the first time!! wtf???) and it cranked right up.

so after all this, is my slow to start problem being caused by a weak battery, and the other symptoms are non related? i would feel like an ass. guess i need to bust out the old test light and see if i can find some random wire drawing power when it shouldn't be.

my clock is never right when i turn my truck on. it is always some random number. not 12 everytime, it doesnt pick up where it left off, its just random. stupid clock.

for starters the plugs/wires/cap and rotor all toyota? toyota ignition systems HATE aftermarket parts denso plugs wires should be around 58 bucks cap is 18 bucks and rotor is 10 ROUGHLY i just did a tune up on a 87 22r yesterday i work for toyota of hickory by the way

i did the tune up over the weekend, so toyota was closed. i did however buy some toyota plugs while i was there today. i'll get back to ya on the brand of wires, etc. i checked the ohm on the coil ignitor, primary was 0.9, and i couldn't get a secondary reading other than infinity, i don't know if i'm not making contact with the high tension terminal or what...but i know the primary is supposed to be between 0.5-0.7.

anything special i might be leaving out during this process?

I think the injectors are new that is what the guy told me i bought it from. i think the plugs are new and if you change those wires mail them to me, those are high dollar NGK plug wires. if nothing happened when you turned the key i would be weary of the igniton going bad. And figure out that coil thing. ohm out cold start injector, and make sure it is getting power when you are cranking the car. by the way toyota does not have some magic plug they buy from some plug manufacturer and put there name on it. the same plug you can buy at parts store.

Back