85 4runner rear brakes/parking brake

GrifsGoat29

I have a issue and as many yoda junkies there is on here I'm sure you've run across it too.... I installed a 3"lift to my runner and the rear brake cable won't reach across and attach due to the rear springs... Any suggestions ? And not to mention my parking brake doesn't work at all...obviously from the cable beig disconnected but didnt work before the lift was installed any advice?

You can get a E-brake cable from a long bed pickup that will probably be long enough as the 4runner is build on the short box pickup frame, but that doesn't really help if the thing didn't work to begin with. Odds are the levers in the backing plates are rusted (Like mine were) I lubed them with PB blaster and pounded them with a hammer in the direction of travel till they moved freely but they were never right and had to be manually disengauged by crawling under the truck. Your best bet is probably to do a driveshaft brake. Mine is sourced from Allpro Offroad in their triple X crossmember but I had to change the whole thing due to a transfer case that is clocked 10 degrees. Someone on here made one using I think a crotch rocket caliper.

I'm a little confused. What kind of lift? Blocks? I have 4" springs on my '89 and didn't have a problem w/ the cable at all (until I changed the shock mounts and had to re-route it).
IIRC there's an upper mount where the cable is held to the body, you could probably loosen or remove that.
Yeah the little levers behind the wheels get rusted bad, PB blast and oil 'em. Pull the pin out and remove the cable from the levers and try moving then by hand or w/ pliers to get them going.

Yeah if it was me I would do a t-case e-brake and switch it to disc brakes in the rear. You can go on sky-manufacturing website and buy the caliper beakers for it. And basically pick everything else up yourself from a local auto Parts store

I'm a little confused. What kind of lift? Blocks? I have 4" springs on my '89 and didn't have a problem w/ the cable at all (until I changed the shock mounts and had to re-route it).
IIRC there's an upper mount where the cable is held to the body, you could probably loosen or remove that.
Yeah the little levers behind the wheels get rusted bad, PB blast and oil 'em. Pull the pin out and remove the cable from the levers and try moving then by hand or w/ pliers to get them going.
^ X 2

got a similar problem with my wifes runner.

i put the tg 4" rear springs on it.

problem is that the leaves are physically taller than the e brake lever, so the cable would rub across the spring all the time.

thinking i may try to lengthen the lever on the ebrake arm? any thoughts?

got a similar problem with my wifes runner.
i put the tg 4" rear springs on it.
problem is that the leaves are physically taller than the e brake lever, so the cable would rub across the spring all the time.
thinking i may try to lengthen the lever on the ebrake arm? any thoughts?

Take a look at the brackets on the axle housing that support the E-brake wire. W/ some creativity you should be able to extend them, or maybe even just bend it so the angle is more in line with what you want.

Back