87 BA10/5 swap for 89 AX15 tranny - Wrangler

dano

I have a sick BA10/5 in my 87 Wrangler, have an opportunity to swap for an AX15. Need help/advice/tips if taking out BA10/5 trans/tcase/d-shafts and replacing all that with the AX15 trans/tcase/d-shafts will work with minimum fab.
Is there any difference in clutches, shifter location, or other issues that prevent this swap or cause headaches (ie not worth the trouble) to remove one system and installing the other? Will the cross-support for trans need swap also?

I know the input splines are the same (both 1 1/8 -10) but the output splines are different 21 vs 23. this is why I am considering entire swap from axle to axle

update...

I've read several unrelated posts that the BA10/5 is crappy...I'm not a serious wheeler but I like to have fun with the jeep. What are my options? is there a tranny replacement/swap that is fairly bolt-in ready or am I stuck with a rebuild and hope for the best? (I guess it is no coincidence that I haven't found anyone who sells reman'd BA10/5's)

As far as I know, it's a straight forward swap. You may have to change the pressure plate, though. Also, as you mentioned, the output spline count is 21. You will have to either change the input on your t-case, or find another t-case with the right spline count. Finding the 23 spline case is the easiest route.

We did a 4.2/Peugeot/TC swap to a 4.0/Ax15/TC

One was a np231 the other an np231a, we lost the front drive shaft and cracked the case right after the swap. So get get the old tcase on the Ax15 we had to take both tcases apart and swap the main shaft. I thought they were the same to begin with. After 10 minutes of fighting to get it to mate I finally looked at the shafts. Duh!

I did this swap awhile back. Call Advance Adapters and they can hook you up with another bracket for your shifter and you can also get an adapter plate to mount the tranny to your skid plate. Make sure to get a tranny with the external slave cylinder in the bellhousing, you will appreciate that later. Advance Adapters also has a good slave cylinder you can purchase and while your at it buy the stainless steel lines to go with it. Hope this helps.

Advance Adapters 1-800-350-2223

Back