9" housing problems, Nic here they are

thebluyak

I opened up the third member and there was little bits of metal shards in the gear oil, these pictures were just taken and I did not pry on the housing or in anyway do anything to cause this damage. Here are the pics Nic.
thanks man for helping me out, I appreciate it so much
Ryan
aimg283.imageshack.us_img283_7201_dscf01983gk.jpg

dscf01995vy.jpg

dscf02000qp.jpg

dscf02018ak.jpg

dscf02036yb.jpg

In this last picture look directly to the left of the ring gear, there is metal that has been bent up

Looking at the pics, the first part of damage you have isn't a big deal someone correct me if i'm wrong. As for the last pic retake the picture without the flash and from some more angles maybe use MSPaint to mark the area of concern. Anyone who knows more about it please chime in. We'll get it taken care of, thanks Ryan, Nic-

I dont think its the oil slinger, its bent out abrubtly and jaggedly, there is one on the other side but it is smooth and not bent out. I highlighted what exactly I was talking about, if those parts of the housing arnt a big deal and it wont affect the structual integrity of it then its not a big deal. Just so you know, that is on both sides of the housing at the same place on each side, one on top/bottem left and one on top/bottem of housing on right. I mean obviously they wherent soppused to be there so Im not sure what could have happend that would cause that on both sides of the housing and pull out that place on the third member. The pinion spun freely and the shafts looked fine, one had metal shards on it. What do you think I should do? the third member is not that big of a concern because I will be regearing and spooling so the spool will take the place of the piece that is jagged on the third member. Maybe someone else will chime in and help me out with this.
Ryan

dscf02036yb3mv.jpg

Hey Nic, if you have like just a plain housing and you wanted to just switch them or whatever that is cool with me or if you honestly think that those breaks in it are fine then I can try to find just a plain housing somewhere, but either way thanks you have helped out alot.

Really woody? then if this is something that isnt a big deal then its fine with me and ill run it. On the last picture where there is a shard of metal coming up, wouldnt that be replaced with a spool anyway cause the spider gears are housed inside that cone shaped piece?

Thanks woody, I can sleep better now. Nic your a great guy to work with and appreciate trying to help me out with everything, sorry bout your jeep buddy, what would have even caused this to happen tho just curious?
Ryan

If you look at the first pic posted you can see how the metal is folded over? and the notch is on both front and rear sides of the housing ? Hey look its on both the left and right side in 4 places total... The notches are part of the manufacturing process see on the front how the folded edge creates a thicker flange for the mounting bolts?

And if your putting a spool in it do you really care what the original stuff looks like?

just my .02

Well I didnt care so much about the carrier cause I knew that was going to be replaced with a spool, it was just kinda scary to see those chips in it because ive never cracked open a 9" axle before, only my dana 35 under my cherokee and it was a little unsettling to think the project would be pushed back even father. these are things I didnt know so I decided to ask people who did. But thanks Yager that helps explain alot of it

Yeah like i said they all came out of similar trucks that may have only seen light farm duty at most. I didn't think it would be a serious problem. Out of all the stuff i've sold lately on this board this and another guy are the only two concerns i've had. I always try to work it out the best I can so buy from me folks. I totaled my TJ in the ice on the 15th of December.
By the way, MCJeep let me know what you wanna do about that 9" of yours if you read this.
Nic-

Back