9" Shaft Diameter

Scooter402

Ruffling feathers and shaking trees
Axle shaft diameter, you sick f*ck. :lol:

I've got another brain fart cooking up, and I have been scouring the all-knowing interwebs trying to find the actual bearing surface diameter on a 9" axle shaft... 3.150" OD, 1.562" ID for the bearing. I know, I know...the interference is usually .001 to .0015 (typically, anyway). But I want to know what the smart guys at Ford designed, and what the interference ACTUALLY is. Anyone have a 9" axle laying around they can put a caliper or (better yet) a micrometer to?

TIA, y'all. :smokin:

I have to pull mine apart this week but it’s a Currie axle with 35 spline shafts so not sure if that will help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have to pull mine apart this week but it’s a Currie axle with 35 spline shafts so not sure if that will help you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That would be helpful if you could. I've read (not that everything on the interwebs IS actually true...) that the 31 and 35 spline axles use the same size bearing. Thanks! :beer:

What are you trying to find out? Like you said, there's a whole chart of shaft and hole tolerances and fits and just because Ford designed it one way doesn't mean the engineers at curry thought it was a good idea--same with Chinese bearing manufacturers. Having pressed plenty of stock bearings off, it's more than a thou interference for sure.

1.565" +.000 / -.001 is the Quality spec we use on the bearing press surface for SET 10 and SET 20 Shafts . The dims you gave matches a Set 20.

What are you trying to find out? Like you said, there's a whole chart of shaft and hole tolerances and fits and just because Ford designed it one way doesn't mean the engineers at curry thought it was a good idea--same with Chinese bearing manufacturers. Having pressed plenty of stock bearings off, it's more than a thou interference for sure.
I was trying to find the amount of interference between the wheel bearing and the axle shaft for a Ford 9" shaft (big bearing, 31 spline to be specific). I only said the engineers at Ford because that's what came to mind. Of course, Curry and other axle/bearing manufacturers will have their own set of dimensions to go by. I was hoping/assuming it might be more than .001", but I didn't know how much was enough or too much, since that interference does only hold the axle shaft in...no big deal or anything. :lol: I didn't want to dork it up if I did get a wild hair up my hiney and go through with the brain fart I'm working up.
1.565" +.000 / -.001 is the Quality spec we use on the bearing press surface for SET 10 and SET 20 Shafts . The dims you gave matches a Set 20.

You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar. :beer: Much appreciated! The Set 20 bearing was the most common one I was finding, so I figured I'd go with that for starters. Now I think I'll go shopping around on your website. :smokin:

I measured my Currie 31 spline shafts this morning. Bearing area measures 1.565” and the seal area measures 1.878”
Awesome, thanks!

Back