93 Cherokee crank no start

93redzj

Took the jeep out yesterday to an event about 30 minutes away, did fine entire way there, but when I went to leave the jeep turned over a couple times then battery died. I had just put a new starter on two days prior and fully charged the battery as it was an old one that would die if I didn’t drive the jeep for like a month.

Trailered it home, bought a new battery, same issue, no start. Sprayed some starter fluid in it, still nothing. I figured I had a “spark” issue and since the ignition coil is fairly cheap and easy to change, I did that. Jeep turned over about 5-6 times and battery weakened and died. It seems unusual to me that a new battery would die so quick, I don’t feel like I was cranking it excessively enough to drain and kill it.

I’m going to verify spark and fuel tomorrow but is there anything else I should be looking at, in particular as to why the battery died so quickly. Or did I just kill it with the cranking?

Check the leads on the “new” starter. That’s be where I would start as the issue seemed to start when that was introduced to the picture.
I’ll also add, the Jeep has always taken a minute to fire off, it’ll crank over a few times before firing off then it’s gotta warm up a little or when you give it gas it’ll sputter some…..I’ve assumed it to be an injector issue just never got around to messing with it.

Have you verified alt. function?
Was gonna gonna check that bad boy too tomorrow. It looks like the original one from 93. Would a bad alt kill the battery that quick though?

I also figured the Jeep would have fired off with that shot of starter fluid, even if alt was bad, or would that be an incorrect assumption?

I guess I was leaning more toward you driving it 30 min then when you went to restart it didn’t want to. Sounds like your not putting juice into the system to kill the battery.

I guess I was leaning more toward you driving it 30 min then when you went to restart it didn’t want to. Sounds like your not putting juice into the system to kill the battery.
Yes I would agree with that. However jumping the Jeep didn’t work, even after attempting for what felt like 30 minutes. Then when I bought a new battery today, mainly cus old one was old as hell, after trying to crank the Jeep only a few times, the battery was drained again with no start. I just wouldn’t think a new battery would drain that fast. I didn’t feel like I was cranking excessively enough to kill it.

Then with new battery freshly installed, a shot of starter fluid, still just cranks with no start and after a few cranks, battery dies. I have no idea what would kill the battery so quick when trying to crank/start.

Ran the issue by my dad, he mentioned maybe the motor was hydrolocking? So I was gonna pull some plugs tomorrow and turn the engine over and check that. Could that kill a battery so quick? I’m also not against throwing an alt on it as I’m sure it wouldn’t hurt either way

Check for a draw with the key off and out. If the starter is bad it will drain it fast. Also if it does not turn over fast enough the CPS will not tell it to fire.

Check for a draw with the key off and out. If the starter is bad it will drain it fast. Also if it does not turn over fast enough the CPS will not tell it to fire.
Am I checking voltage on a resting battery? I feel like it spins fast enough to start but as previously mentioned, I won’t rule out a bad starter out of the box, especially since I went cheaper, $83 compared to $99 at autozone

I usually confirm with a test light. I disconnect the negative and put the light between the battery and the negative ground. Light in its drawing electricity.

I forgot to add when I do find a draw I will pull fuses to isolate the circuit. If you have a draw and suspect the starter just pull the cable on it.

Haven’t found any issues with grounds or connections as of yet, I guess maybe I was just over working the battery trying to crank and it eventually died…..I did, however, hook up my fuel pressure gauge, when ignition is on and pump energized the psi goes up to about 25 and immediately bleeds off. Furthermore, when cranking the Jeep, the pressure continues to just bleed, isn’t it supposed to spike when cranking then level out when running? Ive suspected it need injectors for a while now as it’s been taking long to crank and when it’s first started it’ll idle rough for a minute before smoothing out and being able to drive

Haven’t found any issues with grounds or connections as of yet, I guess maybe I was just over working the battery trying to crank and it eventually died…..I did, however, hook up my fuel pressure gauge, when ignition is on and pump energized the psi goes up to about 25 and immediately bleeds off. Furthermore, when cranking the Jeep, the pressure continues to just bleed, isn’t it supposed to spike when cranking then level out when running? Ive suspected it need injectors for a while now as it’s been taking long to crank and when it’s first started it’ll idle rough for a minute before smoothing out and being able to drive
IIRC PSI should be 40 or 50. You year has a pressure regulator on the rail. If it's bad it will bleed the fuel back to the tank. Mine is a 94 so I'm very familiar with OBD1.

Back