93 Cherokee crank no start

Your XJ has a sending unit on the back of the head. It provides a ground for the gauge to work.
The ZJ and XJ both have the ECT sensor in the thermostat housing. They each use its signal for PCM strategies. On the ZJ, the PCM sends the ECT signal to the BCM and cluster for gauge operation.
I see the plug for the sending unit at back of head. Just not a place for it to connect. The temp gauge in the dash never worked when I bought this $700 XJ a few years back which is why I went aftermarket. I’ll get some pics of engine bay tomorrow so maybe you can better help me understand. I do know when I was chasing this issue, I had replaced the distributor cap and rotor button, bought for a 93, the button didn’t fit, but found a button for a 99 fit. Figured that was year of engine, so when I did this cam sensor fix, bought distributor for a 99 and plug was wrong. I’m just trying to figure out what dang year engine this is so when I need parts, I get the correct ones the first time. I thought most all XJ parts were interchangeable but I guess not when it comes to the engine

I see the plug for the sending unit at back of head. Just not a place for it to connect. The temp gauge in the dash never worked when I bought this $700 XJ a few years back which is why I went aftermarket. I’ll get some pics of engine bay tomorrow so maybe you can better help me understand. I do know when I was chasing this issue, I had replaced the distributor cap and rotor button, bought for a 93, the button didn’t fit, but found a button for a 99 fit. Figured that was year of engine, so when I did this cam sensor fix, bought distributor for a 99 and plug was wrong. I’m just trying to figure out what dang year engine this is so when I need parts, I get the correct ones the first time. I thought most all XJ parts were interchangeable but I guess not when it comes to the engine
It's a single wire connection. I had the unit in the head loose the plastics. You could be over looking it if the plastic is gone. I have seen both styles in XJ's before.

Back