96 Trooper Build

Gavin G. Dennis

So this happened, again! I was minding my own business enjoying the fireworks on Independence day, and Dylan said "you should buy this", so I did. It is a 1996 Isuzu Trooper 3.2 with 189k and a blown transmission (4l30e). It only has 1st gear! The body and paint are in good shape for its age, except for the big dent in the hood. The interior needs a bit of cleaning because it was definitely a smoker caršŸ¤®. It fires right up and has the tell tale Isuzu tap but it isn't bad at all. all systems work including 4WD and it will be a good first car for G. She wants to learn to drive on a manual so the 4L30e will be swapped for an AR5. I didn't take any pictures of it when it came home, so these are pics of different wheel/tire combos I have laying around. The 33" mud terrains look proper for sure, but I think 32" will be better suited for her to learn to drive a manual.

Attachments

• IMG_4343.jpg
    IMG_4343.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_4344.jpg
    IMG_4344.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_4345.jpg
    IMG_4345.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_4346.jpg
    IMG_4346.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 171
I changed the rear springs today to gain a bit of lift to better accommodate the 32" tires. They are Grand Cherokee front springs with the pig tail cut off. They are progressive rate instead of linear and the shocks are completely shot, so I will have to replace before I can offer an opinion on them. Looks like ~2" lift +/-. The springs are Moog CC782

Attachments

• IMG_4350.jpg
    IMG_4350.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 178
  • IMG_4352.jpg
    IMG_4352.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4353.jpg
    IMG_4353.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_4356.jpg
    IMG_4356.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 171
Last edited:
I changed the rear springs today to gain a bit of lift to better accommodate the 32" tires. They are Grand Cherokee front springs with the pig tail cut off. They are progressive rate instead of linear and the shocks are completely shot, so I will have to replace before I can offer an opinion on them. Looks like ~2" lift +/-. The springs are Moog CC782
You need to stop listening to that guy!

I think correct statement is. Hey this was sent to me but you already own one. You donā€™t need 2 šŸ˜’

Symantec's aside, you found it, I bought it, and it is your fault according to the wife! 'nuff said

Rockauto.com fairy showed up and left presents

Attachments

• IMG_4364.jpg
    IMG_4364.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 163
Some updates? Gabbi's truck started running really poorly and we knew it was running really rich so I pulled the intake and valve covers to fix the oil leak. At that point I am replacing all hoses that I can reach while I am there. I soaked the injectors in SimpleGreen in the ultrasonic cleaner while plugged into a fuel injector pulse modulator, all kinds of yuck came out of them. Then I replaced all of the injector seals. Then the devil, you know the one that sits on your shoulder and whispers in your ear, told me I should go ahead and do all of the rockers and rocker shafts while I have the covers open.....
IMG_4811x.jpg

I am also in the process of swapping the white truck to a manual with an AR5 and putting 3:1 gears in it because they were on sale :clap:

Back