97 Tahoe Steering box help please

marty79

Ok guys I really need some help, about to pull my hair out over this issue.
I've always been a jeep guy, so jeep steering boxes and power steering pumps with welded front on 35s or even 38s would still turn the wheels, weak, but would turn.
This 97 Chevy power steering has me super stumped...when i lock both hubs in it won't turn AT ALL, like NOTHING. WTH!!!:kaioken:
Now mine has that sensor valve on the back of the pump so is that my issue? I tried unplugging it which is supposed to put it in full power mode at all times and still nothing...no change.
With only 1 hub locked in turns fine, lock in both hubs and won't turn for crap until I'm like 10mph ish or faster...WTH??? What am I missing. I
It did this on 35s with the IFS crap and now doing it with the tons and 40s...
I put on new power steering pump thinking would fix this but no luck...is that sensor valve thing my issue?
I'm about to screw it and go full hydro but I'm really baffled that a chevy box and pump that's way more powerful than a jeep one can't turn at all 35s or 40s when locked in????
Thank you very much

Ideally would love to do Hydro assist rather than full hydro but I'm really convinced this issue is something separate and has to be fixed otherwise I feel hydro assist will mildly "help" but I doubt will fix this...when I say it won't turn I mean nothing, nada...like no pressure going to gearbox almost

so it's called Variable Assist Power steering and I'm convinced that stupid piston thing is my problem....anyone have experience with these type

Swap to an older box maybe and bypass that piston thing?

Thanks Ben, I'm so busy I hardly get on here much.
Its fixed with hydro assist now as well.

there is a sensor in the cab at the base of the steering column, (looks like a doughnut with wires coming out) this works with the ecu to send the signal tot he variable valve to open more or close.

There is also a bypass tube online I remember seeing that replaces the variable valve.

*edit

Amazon product ASIN B07YYWH29W

Last edited:
I posted a link to the bypass tube, but I can't see it. it's on amazon

Dorman 926-049 Variable Steering Solenoid Bypass Tube Compatible with Select Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC Models​

Back