97 tj 2.5L Electric fan?

CThurmond

My 97 tj 2.5L
is slow as fuck.
yah

i was wondering if puting an electric engine fan on it would free up enough power to be worth the 400 dollar price

Is it compaired to when i turn off my AC? cause that would be worth it,cause AC easily uses half of my power , not that i ever even needed it

My 97 tj 2.5L
is slow as fuck.
yah
i was wondering if puting an electric engine fan on it would free up enough power to be worth the 400 dollar price
Is it compaired to when i turn off my AC? cause that would be worth it,cause AC easily uses half of my power , not that i ever even needed it

Get a 3.8l Taurus fan (3wires) from Pull-A-Part. I think the Lincoln Mark-somehting one is good too. I think I paid $11 each a few years ago I snagged like 3-4 of 'em. (Used them all already) You will need a relay/controller etc. Less than $100 from Vato Zone.

Dont know if I would compare it to using AC/Not using, but it is def worth it for under $100. Will make your AC colder at idle too. Lots of good writeups in Gen 4x4 on Pirate(down right now)

I would never in a million years pay $400 for a fan!

Also, Maybe he will chime in, I think getstucksome has a taurus fan on his 4cyl TJ?

NO.

It wouldn't be worth doing it for $50. You are going to see NO seat of the pants power from going to an electric fan, BTDT. You are just going to incur expense for the parts and install and increase the possibility of over heating and messing something up when you forget to turn the fan on, the relay burns up, the fan burns up and you don't know it, etc.

My 97 tj 2.5L
is slow as fuck.
yah

we have electric fans @ auto zone in knap for like $40. just wire it up. come see me if interested

Its a 2.5 Liter, just ok on the trail, bad on the road
Fixed. Great is a bit of a stretch. Great compared to a 4.0? No. Great compared to say a Briggs and Stratton? Yes. I used to think the 2.5 was ok on the trail, but when you start getting to trails that require wheel speed, and 2nd or 3rd gear, it falls flat on its face. Mine with 4.88s and 36s and the stock t-case gears is just ok off road and sucks on the street. I consider going 4:1 in the case, but still when the higher wheel speeds for big climbs is needed, it's not going to have the nads.

Fixed. Great is a bit of a stretch. Great compared to a 4.0? No. Great compared to say a Briggs and Stratton? Yes. I used to think the 2.5 was ok on the trail, but when you start getting to trails that require wheel speed, and 2nd or 3rd gear, it falls flat on its face. Mine with 4.88s and 36s and the stock t-case gears is just ok off road and sucks on the street. I consider going 4:1 in the case, but still when the higher wheel speeds for big climbs is needed, it's not going to have the nads.

What do you wheel now? Just curious to what you went to.

Its great for what I do, so I feel my opinion is just that.

why is my tj so hopeless to have any speed , i just want to be able to accelerate faster then a school bus....

What trans do you have?

I have a 97 TJ, 32's, 2.5L, and manual. It does fine with power. It will even bark the tires if I want to. Two things come to mind. The first and obvious is auto verses manual trans. With small engines autos can seem sluggish. It's not as noticable with bigger engines. The second thing is axle gears. I have 4.10's from the factory. Maybe you don't. If you want to spend $400 for more power send a PM to cperry and he will sell you some gears like maybe 4.56 but it comes with less top speed and possibly worse fuel economy.

What gears do you have now?

Before mine was mostly trail, it did ok around town, but nothing like a 4.0, if you put it on the interstate it was horrible. So I think its just his perception of slow. Like stated above its fast compared to a lawn mower, but not a 4.0 TJ. If its a Auto its even worst on the street.

What do you wheel now? Just curious to what you went to.

Its great for what I do, so I feel my opinion is just that.
I wheel a '99 TJ with the 2.5L, AX5, stock NP231, 4.88s in an 8.8 and D30 with 36"SXs on beadlocks. Thats a quick summary. On the street I run 33" ATs. For easy to moderate trails, it's fine. When we get to the hard trails (read as difficult as you can do on "small" 36s) the 2.5 just does OK. It will do ok, but without deeper gearing than the case provides, techical crawling is a chore and the clutch will hate you without the torque of at least a 4.0L or deeper t-case gearing. When you need wheel speed for big slippery climbs, the 2.5 doesn't have the balls without keeping it in 1st gear. I'm hoping I find some love with it when I go to a 4:1 case. It should make a huge difference for me and the wheeling I do. That said, with the 33" street tires, I have no problems with street driving. Drive it like you know it's a 4cyl and it's fine. This is all my opinion and experiences. Some may feel differently.

In summary, I think the 2.5 is a reliable little engine that can get the job done, but it needs help with gearing. A lot of help. Doing an engine swap isn't on my list of mods, so I don't hate it. I just don't love it.

Back