'98.5 Cummins OD in/out

lowestjumperTJ

I bought a '98.5 Ram 3500 4x4 with a 24v (auto) and deployed 2 days later. I bought it knowing the transmission would shift in and out of OD until the truck gets above about 35 mph. other than this, the truck runs amazing and I love it. I didn't have a chance to check the fluids or anything of the sort before I left (don't flame). it shifts as normal from 0 up to 35, then hangs up until about 35-40. then once it goes into OD, it stays in OD until it drops back down below about 35. any ideas for things to look at/adjust once I get home from this crap hole? the guy told me the bands just needed to be adjusted. could this be right?

My bet is the throttle position sensor.

Does it only do it under light throttle? If so, TPS would make sense. If it does it under heavier throttle, it could also be the sensors in the trans. (Not a huge deal to change them yourself)

Bands, on the other hand, make no sense.

When my 93 did this, I just turned off od and came home at about 55 mph from the beach with it screaming the whole way. Got me home. Mine was the tps......

it definitely does it under a light load, but I haven't gotten to drive it hard yet to see if it still does it. I'll have to check it out when I get home from this dump. I didn't think about the TPS though. if that is the case, is it adjustable, or would it just require a new one?

it definitely does it under a light load, but I haven't gotten to drive it hard yet to see if it still does it. I'll have to check it out when I get home from this dump. I didn't think about the TPS though. if that is the case, is it adjustable, or would it just require a new one?

Usually it gets taken apart, cleaned, and reassembled/adjusted. there are write-ups on every Dodge site for 'em.

Same issue with my 95, TPS. Thanks for your service too!

guys, I've been looking at some TPS's (autozone.com, advanceautoparts.com, and oreillyautoparts.com) and there is a HUGE range in prices. they go from about 30 bucks all the way up to over 400. also, on the sites, I noticed 2 different options for these trucks when selecting one to show compatible parts. one was "VIN 6" and the other was "VIN D"....what's the difference?

Go to cummins directly. I paid $230 for mine but it was different than what you would have. Everyone I talked to said the aftermarket were junk....
I would be willing to bet the cheaper ones are for gasser motors...yes they are that dumb at the parts store..

don't buy it, just clean it!

Back