'99 5.4 options

kaiser715

Doing hard time
I got a '99 F250 Stuporduty 5.4 gasser, automatic, 4x4

220k on the odo. It seems to be on it's last legs...had valve noise for the past 80+k, now some rod knock/clunk when cold. Going thru a lot of oil, especially towing.

Really can't swing a new truck now, plus this one is basically fine, sans the motor. (Of course, if I swap the motor, the trans will drop out next week). And I really like my $70 property tax, not several hundred...cheap insurance, too.

So....motor swap options...which one and why?

1) Rebuild 5.4 (by my Guy)
2) Junkyard 5.4
3) Crate 5.4 new from Ford

Really not wanting a Jasper/etc reman. BTDT

Crate motor and a rebuilt trans from TLC trans would be my route. I loved my old 5.4 F150 she was a beast!

Thought about upgrading to a bigger engine?

Thought about upgrading to a bigger engine?

Thought about the V10, should be an easy swap from a donor...but not much info online from anybody that's done it.

I would do a rebuild it you can get some decent power from these motors. Check out www.troyerperformance.com modular truck experts. Dss racing sullivan performance & mod max. I had a buddy that rebuilt his 1999 F150 5.4 did a mild performance rebuild P&P heads mild cams dynomax long tube headers made 295 hp 315trq

my buddie has my old 03 excursion. it has about 80k miles on the 5.4 and just had the tranny gone through at ford. were talking about pulling it all out and putting this cummins setup in it. let me know if your intrested

I've pretty much decided to sell the '99, and go up a few years, and find one with a V10.

Looking for a '03 to '08-ish F250/F350SRW, 4 door crew cab, long-bed.

Back