'99 F-250 front axle question

rockcity

everyday is a chance to get better
A friend of mine has a PSD 99 F250. just yesterday he heard a weird noise coming from the front left wheel while turning at a decent speed...

After further inspection by he and I, it appears that the front axle is turning and the ears on the inner axle and stub shaft/joint is hitting the bottom side of the ball joints???

there is a shiny bare metal wear spot on the ears of the inner axle and stub shaft..

Can't seem to figure out why its doing this.

Any ideas?

Rob

The ball joints are bad to wear out on the front axle. This could let it rub. The hub is not unlocking all the way if the shaft is turning. Mine would not unlock sometimes when I first got it because the 4wd had never been used. It would make a loud noise while driving if it didn't unlock all the way.

Sam(slim)

The front driver's side hub is really hard to turn. Sometimes I can't spin the front driveshaft by hand, sometimes I can. sometimes I can spin the axle, sometims I can't. All with the hubs unlocked. No abnormal noises other than the noise of the joint/axle ends hitting the bottom of the ball joint while turning...

We couldn't quite figure it out. I'm no mechanic and haven't owned my F250 to know anything about it to help anyone else out

Nice one Brandon.

I wish I had the 99 PSD instead of "my friend"

My truck is OK though...

Get the weight off that tire and check it for play. I'm betting on ball joints or a unit bearing as well. Either one could cause the problem, and either one is a likely failure.

The axle is hard to turn because it's probably binding up against the splines and seals on one end or the other.

thanks,

I figured it would be a ball joint or something. with the binding axle, maybe the unit bearing...

my front axle is very easy to turn with 1 finger, my friend's is nearly impossible to turn and sometimes impossible.

Thanks,

Rob

Back