99 S10 CV axle removal

Rooster85

getting really frustrated removing the CV's from my s10. Ive gotten all thwe way to where i need to seperate the axle from the transfer case. and im stuck. i know it has a clip that holds it but how do i get it out?

Pry 'em out, try not to destroy the seal on the diff housing.

a good pop with a pry bar should pop them out, is a spring clip that holds them in, but, some times the clip doesn't play nice, and it becomes a fight, you end up shearing the clip

If this happens, you may want to pull the diff and retrieve remaining pieces of clip, cuz they will eventually eat the gears and or bearings. ( it's a Murphy thing )

a fight???? ive been 10 rounds with this thing with 2 kinds of pry bars and a ball joint separator. NO LUCK. nothing to pry against really and when i can get a decent pry i have no luck whatsoever.

nope, axle puller won't work

Its more about "knowing" how to pry, i've seen lots of people fight over them and then i just go and pop them right out. Use lever action to your advantage

And there are times when the axles won't come out and the diff or trans assembly must be puller apart or ruined

its just hard to get leverage because there isnt anything to pry agianst. so im guessing i should just keep trying to pry it?

i used to use a screw driver/punch/whatever you wanna call it and a hammer to get them out if the prybar didnt work.
try that with a friend on the prybar and it should come out.
is this an OE axle or a axle from the parts store?

im guessing its a OE axle. Tried all night again. no avail. Getting a 5lb. sledge tomorrow and ill try again. Ill follow up with what happens but this shit has been going on 3 days now!

man if you were closer id come give you a hand.
its a pain in the ass but it can be done.
the last one i had to have taken out by my friend with his $300 prybar that doesnt flex like my POS craftsman does.
like i said sometimes a friend on a prybar and you hittin on a screwdriver with a hammer works to get them out.

i think thats my problem i have 4 prybars and all 4 of them flex when i apply pressure so ima try and see what a little brute force does. i need my truck back asap!

hell if you just need to drive it knock the outer bell off of the axle put it in the unit bearing and bolt it down.
then you can drive it around 3wd like i did for a few months or until you can get that stub out.

problem solved. A 4lb sledge and a chisel did the trick perfectly. Thanks for all the help guys!!!!! They were way too easy to put back in!

Back