Advice for a First Uwharrie visit

jamesurq

I run a stock 76 cj5 with no lift and 31" tires

Never been to Uwharrie but I'd like to give it a shot - limited off-road experience, but a ton of common sense (IE: I'm not a 'hey y'all, watch this' kinda guy)

Would like to spend a day on the trails, but would like some suggestions on which ones to try first to warm up, which ones for a slightly more difficult ride and which trails to stay away from both from a 'jeep is stock - it can't handle it' perspective and a 'you're a newbie - you can't handle it' perspective.

Advise is appreciated.

I had a buddy ride with us in his stock TJ and he was able to run every trail except Daniel. Dutch John and Dickey Bell are tough, but completely doable with help (spotter) and taking plenty of time.

This is how i would do it -

Run Falls Dam from the Campground, then turn around and come back the same way. If that works good come back down to the Wolfs Den trail head and run Wolf's Den. If that works then you could turn around, head back down Wolf's Den the other direction and roll over to Dutch John. Ride Dutch John until you feel like you need to turn around (plenty of opportunities), or you make it.

The hill on Dickey Bell is tough the first time, but you can ride until you get there and turn around as well.

I go every weekend (and can go during the week) if you'd like someone to roll with you.

Go with a small group or one other vehicle minimum. Being Summer time, extra water times 3 for you and the vehicle. Its hot dry and a long damn walk should anything happen and it becomes an oddity your the only person around for a good while. Hoses bust, throats get parched, shit happens. Take fluids. Heat stroke sucks.

Lots of great suggestions thus far! I agree with 2rad4u Falls Dam is a great trail to start with, Sawmill, Slab Pile, Wolfden and most of Rocky Mountain Loop are pretty stock vehicle friendly as well - just keep your eyes open on the upper section of Rocky Mountain loop that's between the Dutch John service road (SR553) and Sawmill, a couple spots were getting a little gnarly (at least as of a few weeks ago when I was there). My daughter and I both ran Dutch John our first trip out in completely stock 1990-91 Troopers and made it through, although I'll admit it was a little nerve racking. ;) The "front side" of Daniel I would definitely stay away from (the end that starts at Cotton Place Trailhead), the "back side" of Daniel and Dickey Bell are a blast, but more advanced so just take your time and keep sharp if you do these.

It's a beautiful place to spend time, enjoy!! :)

Shaggy

Most trails are easy enough. Don't litter please pack out what u pack in. And if u see trash pick it up. Every little bit helps
X100001013&39010

Same here. Was thinking of heading out there this coming weekend (10/4 or 10/5) Would be my first time to Uwharrie but have done plenty of offroading in the past. I've got an '01 Ford Excursion with 6" of ProComp lift on 35's. Should be plenty to get me thru most of the trails. The only thing I am worried about is width clearance on some of the trails. I've been looking at GoPro video people have captured on some of the trails and it looks like it can get a little tight. I'd be willing to go with you if you were up to it.

I run a stock 76 cj5 with no lift and 31" tires

Never been to Uwharrie but I'd like to give it a shot - limited off-road experience, but a ton of common sense (IE: I'm not a 'hey y'all, watch this' kinda guy)

Would like to spend a day on the trails, but would like some suggestions on which ones to try first to warm up, which ones for a slightly more difficult ride and which trails to stay away from both from a 'jeep is stock - it can't handle it' perspective and a 'you're a newbie - you can't handle it' perspective.

Advise is appreciated.

Same here. Was thinking of heading out there this coming weekend (10/4 or 10/5) Would be my first time to Uwharrie but have done plenty of offroading in the past. I've got an '01 Ford Excursion with 6" of ProComp lift on 35's. Should be plenty to get me thru most of the trails. The only thing I am worried about is width clearance on some of the trails. I've been looking at GoPro video people have captured on some of the trails and it looks like it can get a little tight. I'd be willing to go with you if you were up to it.
You'll be fine with width. It's more challenging but not impossible. I took my 06 power wagon up there several times and there is a another guy in CTB that also wheels a quad cab power wagon.

Aside from from the business side of Daniel and Dickey Bell, it's all doable... Just take it slow and don't hesitate to turn around if needed. Remember AAA won't pull you out!

Me and a couple guys are going to the Jamboree on the 18th. I'll be riding with my buddy. The weekend after that there's a workday on the 25th. I'll be driving my stock ZJ that weekend, driving down early in the am for the workday (which I think you should come to, lots of awesome people that you can talk to about wheeling techniques and such) then camping overnight. If you want to come along give me a holler, we'd love to have you with us!! We won't be doing anything your CJ can't handle, as I'm keeping the ZJ dent-free as much as I can help it. Make sure you have recovery points. You never plan on getting stuck but it pays to be prepared.

After watching a bone stock pathfinder on stock wheels and tires make it up Dicky Bell this past weekend (very wet) without beating and banging at all....I'd say ride everything except Daniel. I made Dicky bell in a bone stock CJ7 open on 30's not long ago, but it wasn't really my first rodeo.

Anybody hit the trails today? Have been told that it can be pretty sketchy when it's wet, and wanted to go check it out Sunday. Figured I'd wait for a dryish day for my first trip. Thanks

Last edited:
Its pretty dry, just got back from the jambo and everyone said the trails are in good shape, not too dusty, not too slick!

What happened? I was on Wolf's Den and several other trails all morning, there were no problems. Everything, including the weather, was great!

We ran Daniel, RML, Saw Mill, Wolf Den, Falls Dam, to Dickie Bell just now. Will probably be out and about again in the morning.

I went out today with the family. Unfortunately I had to put my tail between my legs and turn around only a 1/4 mile into Wolf's Den trail.:(

Ahh dang what happened? Something break? The first time there's always a learning curve, for some it's a LOT steeper than others unfortunately. Don't let it get you down, post up next time you want to go or PM someone on here. Everybody I've met on here is fun to wheel with and more than willing to help new people learn. Chances are VERY high that a few people on here will be out there any given weekend

Sounds like it may have just been intimidating. Take one of the UORTC classes man I hear nothing but great things!!!

I went out today with the family. Unfortunately I had to put my tail between my legs and turn around only a 1/4 mile into Wolf's Den trail.:(

Above all, I hope that you enjoyed the time with your family out in the beautiful forest! :) As "JRT" noted, on any given weekend there are very likely members out there - some on their first or second trip with a stock (or very modest) vehicle, others on their four hundredth trip with a tank :eek: and probably everything in between. Give a shout when you want to make another trip!

Shaggy

Back