Air bags off road

Van-go

Not an old man
So I’m building a 1 ton Tacoma
It’s an 09
Do I need to disconnect to the airbags before I go too hard wheeling?
I’ve heard that they possibly disconnect in low range? Does anybody have any information on that

Fairly certain they deactivate in low range or work off speed and decell limits.

Air bags in my ‘97 Cherokee never went off and it got USED off-road like a $2 hooker on 50% off BOGO days. Never disconnected anything. However, funny story. Our plow truck (snow) had the bags hooked up and I was pushing banks up one night and BOOM! Scared the shit out of me!!

Depends on several factors - angle of impact, speed, forces present at the sensors (accelerometer), and of course the phase of the Moon. Honestly though, I'd simply wire in a switch after the air bag fuse to be able to simple turn it off - or just pull the bag fuse and ignore/delete the light. (My wife's 98 zj might have had that done to it to let youngins ride in the front, at the time having 3 kids too small for bags.. actually called Chrysler corporate and they said their position was to not provide a shut off switch - though I found an tsb where they offered it, I couldn't get them to give me part numbers - I made the case, I've got 4 kids, and this 5 passenger, and I need to be able to sit one up front and turn the bag off - it really annoyed me)

All I know is, one of the early "4x4cross" races at the Stables... in '09? a guy was racing a.... grand Cherokee, maybe?.... and landed hard nose-in from a big woop, and the bags went off in his face.
Was funny as hell, ended his round pretty quick.

Sorry, got nothin' else to help out with here. My impression is that newer model cars have a lot of safeguards to prevent it. I drive an 80s Toyota so what he hell do I know.

You can always just pull the air bag fuse or install a switch on the air bag power wire and call it a day. And a minute or five after you pull the fuse or throw the switch, you know they won't deploy for certain.

Back