Air mattress/ sleeping pad

paradisePWoffrd

Recovering Project Junkie
Looking to buy some new equipment, and now need to get some stuff for the kids too.

Anyone have any recommendations for Air mattresses or sleeping pads, for both adults and kids? This would be for car camping, so weight size isnt such a big deal, other than fitting in the tents.

If anyone has any to stay away from, that would be great to know also.

We used cheap queen size Walmart inflatable mattresses for years. They're fine if the weather isn't chilly. When the kids were little, they could sleep three wide across the short side. Last year we switched to regular thermarest self inflatable pads. We were spending a bunch of time at elevation in cooler temps, and the kids had gotten big enough that they needed their own beds. Cyd and I use a pair of 2" thick pads with a homemade combiner kit (full size fitted sheet) and a pair of box style sleeping bags zipped together.

I wouldn't advocate outfitting the whole family with thermarest pads on a whim, but we already had several and Cyd was 6 months pregnant, so it made sense for us at the time. Figure we've probably slept 20 or 30 nights on them since then, so definitely got our money's worth.

Last edited:
I got a full size air mattress [ 2 person] & a 3-4 person pop-up tent. I haven't used either in over 10 years. Been stored inside. I have no plans to ever use them again. You can have them if you want! Think I still have the DC powered air pump, though there better options. I don't think any dry rot has set in. Just make arrangements to get them. Sometimes I find my self in the vicinity of Christian Tours / Hwy 16.

Ours are the Therm-a-rest NeoAir Venture lightweight pads but we tried out a bunch at REI, looking to balance comfort and size with weight. Some of the REI brand ones seemed ok, if a little heavy. With individual sleeping pads, it might matter more if you're a back/side/stomach sleeper. The NeoAir pads are pretty cushy and worked well when I was pregnant but are also more comfy for me as a side sleeper.

The Intex air mattresses were pretty great, especially when the kids were younger, and can be had for pretty cheap. They've also been pretty durable in our experience. We still regularly drag them out for the kids to camp out in the family room when they want to sleep by the fireplace. :lol:

We went with the Etekcity brand air mattresses for us and the kids and they have held up pretty well. We’ve used them on about 10 trips. They aren’t great when it’s cold, but good 3-season mattresses.

20 years experience.

Buy two moving blankets that are same size or bigger. Use one under for insulation from the ground and one on top for silence. Both will protect the mattress from anything that might poke a hole in it. Only use these for camping!

Back