Air pressure on your tow rig

JNO

What does everybody run in your tow pig, I have 60 on the rear and 65 in the front but I think I wanna bump it down

I run 50-55 in front and 60 or so in rear (yukon xl 2500) and try to just leave it. I can't stand airing up and down. If I drove it more unloaded, I guess I would air it down...

120 at all positions :D

Usually 55 front and 50 rear in my F250s, and would bump the rear up as necessary depending on the load.

All these random pressures, but nobody bothered to say what kind of tire and how many of them…

#detailsmatter

When I swapped my dually from the stock load range E road tires to 35x12.50 Toyo A/T II I was amazed by the fact they were also a LR E 10 ply but only called for 65psi max cold as opposed to the 80psi of the mastercraft I was replacing. After asking here and calling Toyo it was established that tire pressure is dependent and the tire not the vehicle. That’s what I went with and it worked perfectly for a lot of miles both DD and heavy towing.

I've been running 55 on my HD, loaded or not. I just make sure it's not super tongue/neck heavy and if I leave the county, I'll air them up.

295/70-17 Cooper AT3 XLTs.

Pretty close to what the sidewall says max cold but slightly under. Right at max cold rating on sidewall in the rear when towing.

Glad this thread popped up actually, little sidetrack, but also somewhat relevant.

How about trailer tires? If specificity is needed, the particular application, in my case, is a 14ft 12k rated dump trailer with 14ply tires hauling anything from mulch, to gravel, to a skid steer.

Pretty close to what the sidewall says max cold but slightly under. Right at max cold rating on sidewall in the rear when towing.

Glad this thread popped up actually, little sidetrack, but also somewhat relevant.

How about trailer tires? If specificity is needed, the particular application, in my case, is a 14ft 12k rated dump trailer with 14ply tires hauling anything from mulch, to gravel, to a skid steer.
I keep my trailer tires at their max rating inflation.

I keep my trailer tires at their max rating inflation.
I'm of the same opinion, but also trying to prove a point so keep the feedback coming!

(mods / OP: if this is sidetracking the thread too much, glad to start a separate one)

I leave my trailer tires at max also...or at least somewhere over 100. They're rated for 125. I do that so they just skid if I have to whip it around real tight on pavement. The sidewalls don't even roll.

215/75-17.5 load range H, 16 ply.

Trailer tires are designed to be at max all the time. You shouldn’t vary them based on load. Engineers are smart, or so @jeepinmatt tells me.
Most certainly my position on this.

Blew a 235/85/16 14ply last weekend hauling some logs to the mill. Tires have been on the trailer for a little over a year and have a 2017 date code.

Guy at the tire shop said I over inflated and cause this (rated at 110psi cold and I had all 4 at 100psi).

I said BS...read the got-dern sidewall! Also said if that was the case then the other 3 would have likely resulted in the same but they're still fine.

1636122752957.png

That ain't pine staw there on that tar either...

I run 60psi in the truck, front and rear. 15 Ram CTD with 37x12.50s. Whatever max psi is on the trailers, I think 60 on the bumper pull and 80 on the goose.

Duane

Upgrade time, yeah... you should definitely UPGRADE and sell me those 6-lug x16" rims ;)
Deal...but there's a catch

I'll upgrade to a 14k GN dump with 17.5s, and I'll sell you these (but they'll be attached to a trailer)

Most certainly my position on this.

Blew a 235/85/16 14ply last weekend hauling some logs to the mill. Tires have been on the trailer for a little over a year and have a 2017 date code.

Guy at the tire shop said I over inflated and cause this (rated at 110psi cold and I had all 4 at 100psi).

I said BS...read the got-dern sidewall! Also said if that was the case then the other 3 would have likely resulted in the same but they're still fine.

View attachment 360687

That ain't pine staw there on that tar either...
I got tired of seeing this so I switched to 17.5s. So far so good. I honestly probably had better luck out of 14.5 mobile home tires than I did out of 16" trailer tires, but to be fair, none of my trailer tires started their life with me new.

All these random pressures, but nobody bothered to say what kind of tire and how many of them…

#detailsmatter
I figure we are mostly talking load range D or E LT tires in the 265-305 width range, so in the general scheme of things its a pretty narrow band.

I'm glad you brought this up, because I had the same question lol.

60 up front 80 in the rear, otherwise my fancy tire light comes on. Dad's 2013 ram has a light load and heavy load tpms setting but my 2018 doesn't. Oh well seems to ride fine and got 65k out of the flaken at3's running it that way.

Trailer tires are always at max. Still lose some trailer tires every so often...

85 all the way around all the time on my 06 f350 dually w Firestone transforce at2's.Got about 60K out of the last set.I pull so often its not worth the trouble to air up and down,esp on the rear inners.

Back