Alignment shop in Triad

RatLabGuy

You look like a monkey and smell like one too
After doing some front end work, adding BJ spacers, etc, I have serious alignment issues.
Looking for a reccomendation for a place to get an alignment in the Lewisville/Winston area, not just a yahoo kid doing a galf-ass job but somebody that knows how to deal w/ a lifted/moded truck and will do it right spot on.

Somebody else suggested the 4x place in Welcome. unf its quite a hike from here.
Somebody specific to ask for at Merchant's? oh and they're Tire Kingdom now, right?

I dunno who to ask for but a buddy got his aligned recently (ranger on 35's). He said they got some new super duper alignment machine. I don't know about the name. They do appointments only.

Toms isn't far from W-S. Get on 52 South it's the 3rd exit past W-S. You can see the shop from 52. # is 1-800-677-4078. Call first - not sure if they do alignments but I'm pretty sure they do. If not they have given me good references before.

I dont think Tom's does alignments anymore. They dont really do anything i dont think except screw people. I would try merchants- tire kingdom they are pretty good.

toyota231 said:
They dont really do anything i dont think except screw people.

care to elaborate?

when the old mans tire shop was there, and before it was only a 4wd place, i've had nothing but good service, good prices. I haven't been there in a few years.

Feel Like a Little Drive
Granite Falls Nc Where I work . I can handle up to 22 inch rims and tire size isn't an issue unless of course it won't come in the door .

Chris_M said:
care to elaborate?
when the old mans tire shop was there, and before it was only a 4wd place, i've had nothing but good service, good prices. I haven't been there in a few years.

I work about 1/2 mile from Toms. When I got my CJ about 6 years ago, I took it there for Tires. they did a trade in on my old tires and rims, and worked me a pretty good deal. Now they seem to be a Bolt on Bling shop to be honest. Big ole fat cataloge of pretty things you can put on, a nice big show room of shiney stuff. Granted, that's where the money is at, but not what I'm looking for.

not sure if the shop a buddy is at does Alignment, but I know he's trained in Alignment and he's into Offroading so he understands the thrown off casters and everthing. Hell he runs a FSJ on 44's. I'll see if I can find out where he is now. I know it's up in King.

Hm, well MB, didn't see this post till now. Might have waited.

Anyhow, i took it to Merchants in Clemmons - convenient, plus they do 6k/ 6mo re-dos if you want.

Something really bugs me though. Below is a scan of ths alignment spec sheet.
When I picked up the 4Runner (left it all day so they wouldn't be rushed) and askedt he guy for the spec sheet, he actually asked "You know how to read it?" I just smirked.
According to this, the camber was 1.7 deg off. Spec max is 1.5. Yet they didn't change it? why not?
I asked about this. he basically said 'well if it's w/in tolerance they just leave it". But it ISN'T in tolerance? Am i looney? it looks to me like all he did was adjust the toe.
I also asked why they didn't bother to fill in the other specs - ride height, etc. hell you could measure thsi w/ a yardstick. he just said "They hook it up to the laser device and it just does it all". To me this just says "our guy is onl yas smart as teh equipment we buy him."
Am out of line in thinking that somebody was just being lazy? is it normal to just leave out of spec like this? Somebody please tell me if so.

awww.4rtoy.rewazule.com_Pics_Alignment1.jpg

When driving home i could feel it pulling to the right on occasion. Not major, but noticible.
i guess what bug me more that anything is that I can SEE that the two left wheels are out of camber to one another. my vision isn't great. Seems to me that if I can see it, then it why couldn't a tech?
I figure I'll be going back in a day or two after more driving.

Yeah, I'd see about the camber it's barely off, but it's not in. I'd get them to make the front left close in measurement to the right front. I really don't think that would cause it to pull though.

You said you could feel it pull to the right on occasion. Could be little imperfections in the road along with a soft suspension, and off road tires with soft air pressure.The springs on my jeep are really soft and it doesn't take much of an imperfection to make it pull a little.

Make sure you're on a smooth, straight flat strip of road, and then put it in neutral and then feel for any pull. It should pull consistently, but not on occasion.

rbo1577186 said:
Yeah, I'd see about the camber it's barely off, but it's not in. I'd get them to make the front left close in measurement to the right front. I really don't think that would cause it to pull though.
You said you could feel it pull to the right on occasion. Could be little imperfections in the road along with a soft suspension, and off road tires with soft air pressure.The springs on my jeep are really soft and it doesn't take much of an imperfection to make it pull a little.
Make sure you're on a smooth, straight flat strip of road, and then put it in neutral and then feel for any pull. It should pull consistently, but not on occasion.

It's DEFINITELY pulling to the right. I drove it to work today (Baptist/WFU Med center) from home (lewisville) just to feel it out, it's 90% highway. It IS kinda funny that it's sometimes worse than others... but generally if I (carefully!) take my hands off the wheel it veers rightward. And this is in the left (passing) lane where the road crown is opposite.
Only other potential explanation I could think of, is it looks like 1 of the 4 pistons in the pass. side brake calipers has been sticking, the inner pad is worn more and unevenly (piston was tuck out). I worked it a bit while it was off though (pre-alignment fix) and it seemed ok.
However, it dosn't yank or pull rightward when braking, and I traveled the hwole highway distance w/o ever using the brakes. But, I think I'm gonna replace all the pads+that caliper just in case anyway.

I wonder if your rear axle is not parallel to the front? I guess you could measure, but I would think the hi-tech laser alignment machine would be able to tell you.

Gary

Interesting idea.
I wonder if that's what "wheel base diff" and "track width diff" refer to above? Eitehr way, they didn't do anything but measure it.

i just asked for "an alignment", I think at Merchants they do it all as one? No specification of diff in front/back etc.
But if you look at the chart, the back is only .2/.4 deg off camber... no listing of a spec, but if it's same as front then it's well within.

Sorry, i didn't mean for this to turn into "why am i pulling right", that would belong in another forum sectioin... just "is it acceptible to leave it out of spec". Although i'm open to suggestions either way, of course.

Few questions,

Do you have a full time locker or spool on the rear axle ?

If so, measure the circumferance or EACH tire, match the 2 closest on the drive alxe. Be sure air pressures are the same in all tires when measuring.

Also,
there is such a thing called "radial Pull" that even an alignment will not get rid of. just a tire with issues. (my work van sufferers from this, among other things)

Don't put a whole lot of faith in a fast food type repair shop, most of the techs are "Toe and Go" never bothering with the rest of the measurments as on many vehicles toe is the only thing that is adjustable, and they have no interest in acutally checking the rest, it takes too long and they don't make any more $$$ for doing it.

Wasn't until I had the opportunity to align MY own junk that I found how WRONG the other shops were about the settings on my Honda, there is A LOT of adjustment IF you take the time and have some patience.

On my '90 Runner, a shop some time before I ever bought the truck did an alignment and they could not move the adjusting sleeves to set the toe, so they reset the camber instead, so while the tires don't have feather edge wear pattern, they do only wear the OUTTER 3rd of the tire (I'll flip the tires on the rim at some point ) not worth it to me to spend $200 on tie rods and adjusting sleeve since the camber adjustment has since siezed as well (northern vehicle, rusting quietly as we speak)

All sorts of games to play in alignment, finding someone who REALLY knows how and is willing is the tough part. ( being willing to pay for a proper alignment is also key, $55 isn't much considering 15-30min of the hour you are paying for is set up and calibration of the heads and aquiring data on the vehicle to find out where things are set before you can actually do any adjusting, Known as being a "loss leader" in hopes they will find other parts to replace)

Try finding some one who REALLY knows the proper way to center a steering wheel during an alignment, Pulling it off and re-setting on the steering shaft IS NOT the correct way.

Thanks for the input.
No, nothing in the rear. it's open (for now...)

I went w/ the guys b/c, well, I needed it done and they were there. Had the above reccomendation. For record, their fee is $75, although thrre's a coupon you can download for $60 "tire maintanance package" they do alignment, rotation, and balance. i was making it easier on 'em and told 'em not even to worry about the rotate 'n balance 'causet he tires are nearly near and well balanced, and i just rotated 'em myself.

But, YES, i'd love to have somebody who really CARES to do it.

Chris_M said:
care to elaborate?

I have been there a few times to purchase stuff and first of all they had bad customer service everytime. One time i had the guy order me some 7" front toyota lift springs, i asked him if i needed to pay for them then, he said no just pay when they come in and said it would be about 3-5 days when they come in. After 3 months, many phone calls, and a lot of excuses they never came in. I was told it was because i didnt pay up front after i asked and was told it was ok. I dont like them. Ill go to Galloways before ill ever set foot in Tom's.

Back