All the vehicles with "No Title" WTH?

Interesting, why would the scrap yard care?
risk mitigation.
Talking to investigators takes time and most states have a hold before crush rule on no titles for salvage yards

Interesting, why would the scrap yard care?
To discourage it, or encourage the scrappist to get a title instead of just bringing it in. Plus they can pay less for the same thing.

Not sure if you see it in your area, but I was at a scrap yard in Maryland a few month ago while cleaning off a job site and their pay window had a big flyer on it "X amount per lb for vehicles WITH title" "X amount per lb for vehicles WITHOUT a title". First time I had seen that one.
Same price regardless.The local one takes em w tires,gas tanks,grannies dirty draw-ers and all.Several summers ago someone brought in a 70's model Caddilac conv.They pulled it in on a car dolly and had to sit on the scales for a few minutes waiting to get unloaded.WHen they moved there was big wet spot on the scales.It hadnt rained in weeks.They had soaked the carpet/seats w a water hose to get more weight.Ive saw em fill the gas tanks w rocks and the engines w water.:shaking: Every ounce counts I suppose.

Same price regardless.The local one takes em w tires,gas tanks,grannies dirty draw-ers and all.Several summers ago someone brought in a 70's model Caddilac conv.They pulled it in on a car dolly and had to sit on the scales for a few minutes waiting to get unloaded.WHen they moved there was big wet spot on the scales.It hadnt rained in weeks.They had soaked the carpet/seats w a water hose to get more weight.Ive saw em fill the gas tanks w rocks and the engines w water.:shaking: Every ounce counts I suppose.
I have seen more than a few people banned from a yard for that stupidity. Back when cars were $18/100 pounds I saw all kinds of idiots try to cheat the system.

I have seen more than a few people banned from a yard for that stupidity. Back when cars were $18/100 pounds I saw all kinds of idiots try to cheat the system.
Our local recycler that takes AL cans has you cut your bags open, dump in the feeder, they run it all through the shredder and hopper THEN weigh. Guy said he's had tons of guys come in w cans full of water, ice, whatever.

Our local recycler that takes AL cans has you cut your bags open, dump in the feeder, they run it all through the shredder and hopper THEN weigh. Guy said he's had tons of guys come in w cans full of water, ice, whatever.
Yeah they use to mash the cans flat after they put rocks in em too.the place near me said they would like to stop taking cans.Too much work for not much return.

I used to take cans that had been littered with steel bbs.

Yeah they use to mash the cans flat after they put rocks in em too.the place near me said they would like to stop taking cans.Too much work for not much return.
One yard quit taking crushed cans because of that. Although one yard had barrels you had to dump your cans in before they weighed them. The weight of the barrels was 5 pounds off. The theft works both ways.

The same yard had truck scales that were wrong too. They had no display outside, which was a big tell. When I got paid, the recipt said my truck weighed 7000 pounds empty. On every other scale it weighed 9980 pounds. Small wonder the guy got arrested.

One yard quit taking crushed cans because of that. Although one yard had barrels you had to dump your cans in before they weighed them. The weight of the barrels was 5 pounds off. The theft works both ways.

The same yard had truck scales that were wrong too. They had no display outside, which was a big tell. When I got paid, the recipt said my truck weighed 7000 pounds empty. On every other scale it weighed 9980 pounds. Small wonder the guy got arrested.
yeah people getting out and goin to the bathroom before the return trip over the scales is another oldie and its always the fattest one that gets out that does it.

Most of the cars I had scraped went to Southern Metals, in Charlotte. Most everyone agreed they somehow rigged some of the Incoming weights. Seemed my empty weights were consistent. Once I had picked up two 1959 Cadillacs, about a week apart of each other. Other than the color, I knew of No difference in the full size 4 doors! The scales, weighed them 500 something #s, different. I had my ticket from the past week & stepped inside the scale house to discuss this. Scales were readable, from the inside only, & the tickets were Stamped by the scale, so I don't know How they cheated, but I Say, they Did! And maybe still do. There was no point in arguing with them, you couldn't win! They paid the highest price, so they knew you probably wasn't going somewhere else. And they had Plenty of business & still do!

Most of the cars I had scraped went to Southern Metals, in Charlotte. Most everyone agreed they somehow rigged some of the Incoming weights. Seemed my empty weights were consistent. Once I had picked up two 1959 Cadillacs, about a week apart of each other. Other than the color, I knew of No difference in the full size 4 doors! The scales, weighed them 500 something #s, different. I had my ticket from the past week & stepped inside the scale house to discuss this. Scales were readable, from the inside only, & the tickets were Stamped by the scale, so I don't know How they cheated, but I Say, they Did! And maybe still do. There was no point in arguing with them, you couldn't win! They paid the highest price, so they knew you probably wasn't going somewhere else. And they had Plenty of business & still do!
Gordon's up in Statesville got caught paying an average weight on a vehicle. Basically meaning whatever they thought it weighed was what they paid. A buddy sent about 10 various sized vehicles up there, and got the same price for all of them. Lawsuits happened, and he recieved a large unspecified amount of money.

Back