All the vehicles with "No Title" WTH?

R Q

I'm always perusing the webs looking at old cars and trucks and so many times they are "no title". It blows my mind that this is such a dilemma! As long as they have a VIN the DMV can track the last owner. It can't be that hard to find them. I know you can get a bonded title and maybe that's what they do is look for the P.O.'s and see if the car was stolen or wanted. It just does not seem to be that hard. So many vehicles could be saved and used or enjoyed but some idiot can't find a safe place to put their title and remember where it's at. Blows my mind! :confused:

Not sure about NC, but down here they’ll have the option of paper title or digital. Paper is $20, Digital is free. If you opt for digital and ever want the paper title to sell the vehicle, it’s $20, come back and get it.

It's sus as hell, but sometimes it's a PITA to get a title as a child of someone who's died

I. E. Momma dies and I'm an only child. It would normally take MONTHS for me to get power of attorney and get the title into my name to transfer that to someone else. The lazy way is to offer it up as "without title" if I'm desperate for cash.

Thankfully I've already made provisions for this and so I won't face that, but happens that way more than you think.

Could also be stolen 😂

It's sus as hell, but sometimes it's a PITA to get a title as a child of someone who's died

I. E. Momma dies and I'm an only child. It would normally take MONTHS for me to get power of attorney and get the title into my name to transfer that to someone else. The lazy way is to offer it up as "without title" if I'm desperate for cash.

Thankfully I've already made provisions for this and so I won't face that, but happens that way more than you think.

Could also be stolen 😂
Most are probably cars that are still financed. And they truly believe they are allowed to part them out.
Had a guy come into the shop today and was mad at his finance company because they still wanted payment when his truck is broken down…..

It isn't as easy as it sounds, you cannot get a bonded title for an insurance total, if the last owner died with it in their name no matter how long ago it was --has to go through estate, and if it's been junked or abandoned.
And even then you basically have the dmv inspector look it over and make report, sign a bunch of shit, prove that you have exhausted all resources in finding the last owner, pay for an insurance bond, pay to apply for bonded title, wait 4 months to see if you're fucked or not.

Grew up dragging clapped hooptys out of my friends dad’s JY to go slam down the trails. If it was even remotely worthy of our time we would just get a “notarized” BOS. Take it to the Secretary of State and they would plate it after a quick VIN check that it wasn’t hot.
NC has too many rules (generating money)

It isn't as easy as it sounds, you cannot get a bonded title for an insurance total, if the last owner died with it in their name no matter how long ago it was --has to go through estate, and if it's been junked or abandoned.
And even then you basically have the dmv inspector look it over and make report, sign a bunch of shit, prove that you have exhausted all resources in finding the last owner, pay for an insurance bond, pay to apply for bonded title, wait 4 months to see if you're fucked or not.
Orrrrr.
you come on down to SC.
Fill out a TI-021A and a TI-021B.
Get a SCHP to come out to the house and verify the VIN.

Then you mail the paperwork off - wait 21 days and a brand shiny new title in your name appears.
As long as its 20 years old it is THAT easy.

Cost $45

Orrrrr.
you come on down to SC.
Fill out a TI-021A and a TI-021B.
Get a SCHP to come out to the house and verify the VIN.

Then you mail the paperwork off - wait 21 days and a brand shiny new title in your name appears.
As long as its 20 years old it is THAT easy.

Cost $45

what if its 15 years old?
what if the widow can't find the title to dude's 2014 jeep and needs cash?

what if its 15 years old?
what if the widow can't find the title to dude's 2014 jeep and needs cash?

In that case its even easier.
The widow drivers down the the DMV and waits in line.
She says " I need a duplicate title due to a lost title".
She completes MVR-4
She pays a $26 fee and they print it out right there.

In that case its even easier.
The widow drivers down the the DMV and waits in line.
She says " I need a duplicate title due to a lost title".
She completes MVR-4
She pays a $26 fee and they print it out right there.
In these examples must you be a resident of SC?

I have a Cutlass Ciera that I was made to promise would never be put back on the road. I have no idea why. The old woman who owned it made her son swear to it before she died. He made me promise as well. So if someone wants it, it goes with no title.

A lot of times a house burned down, papaw died and buried the titles in a mayonnaise jar somewhere, ex wife took the title, rats ate it, or some other strange reason. It isn't worth it to the owner to get a title before they call me to come get it for a few hundred. Or the car is unsafe to drive, and they refuse to hand it over.

Why a 2012 Charger doesn't have one most likely it still has a lien.

One big thing about a lot of these new "no title" cars is theft; a lot of newer cars get stolen in the southern states, get moved up north or out west and are offered as "parts only "
Spoke to a family member while on vacation in Iowa about the amount of brand new no-title vehicles being listed, apparently it's a big racket now

8-10 years ago I was buying lots of $500 no title XJ's from Craigslist. Most ran and drove, several had blown head gaskets. I figured the owner either didn't want to deal with getting a replacement title after they lost the original (lazy and/or assumed it was going to be a hassle to get) or they owed a title-loan place.

The lazy way is to offer it up as "without title" if I'm desperate for cash
I'm at the recycling place almost every afternoon and MANY times I have watched people drive a vehicle on the scales,get their tag,get paid,and leave in another vehicle.I saw a dude one time drive one in get paid and leave ON FOOT!! I passsed him walking down the street.He came in,in a running/driving car and left walking.Cant wait a month for $1200 gotta have that $200 TODAY!!!

8-10 years ago I was buying lots of $500 no title XJ's from Craigslist. Most ran and drove, several had blown head gaskets. I figured the owner either didn't want to deal with getting a replacement title after they lost the original (lazy and/or assumed it was going to be a hassle to get) or they owed a title-loan place.
Also folks will buy a vehicle that they signed the title but never titled it (for whatever reason) and resold to somebody else.In TN you have to go back to the signee,on the back of the title.get them to pay the taxes,register it in their name,get a title and then sign it over. Nobody is gonna do that on a $1000 beater.In TN they will not give you a title unless you register it,regardless if it runs or not.If you have a vehicle that hasnt ran in 20 years and is in 1000 pieces in 20 different boxes youre not gonna get a title,in your name,unless you pay the taxes and buy a tag first.

I'm at the recycling place almost every afternoon and MANY times I have watched people drive a vehicle on the scales,get their tag,get paid,and leave in another vehicle.I saw a dude one time drive one in get paid and leave ON FOOT!! I passsed him walking down the street.He came in,in a running/driving car and left walking.Cant wait a month for $1200 gotta have that $200 TODAY!!!
I have driven more than a few across the scales. Steph has always followed with another one on the trailer. Most of them were barely running. One she had to push across. One I pulled on the scale and it threw a rod through the block.

However, I have been a lot of people drive a perfectly serviceable car in and leave it. Most were just over the 10 year no title needed limit. A few were 10 years and one month old. I am sure there is a buy here pay here lot not getting paid.

On a side note, I got called about 18 years ago to pick up a really nice Honda Odyssey. If I recall it was only about 2 years old. I asked for the title and they told me they didn't get one. I smelled stink, and I made an excuses to come back later.

I went by the dealership that was on the sticker on the back of the van. They had been looking for the van for several months.

I got a call from the person who called me to pick it up the next morning, saying they were going to call the police because I stole thier van. I told them to call the dealership, and see if it had been repoed. I never heard back from them, or the police, or even got a thank you from the dealership.

One big thing about a lot of these new "no title" cars is theft; a lot of newer cars get stolen in the southern states, get moved up north or out west and are offered as "parts only "
Spoke to a family member while on vacation in Iowa about the amount of brand new no-title vehicles being listed, apparently it's a big racket now
especially a Kia or Hyuindai, thanks to their omission of an immobilizer 🤦‍♂️

I have driven more than a few across the scales. Steph has always followed with another one on the trailer. Most of them were barely running. One she had to push across. One I pulled on the scale and it threw a rod through the block.

However, I have been a lot of people drive a perfectly serviceable car in and leave it. Most were just over the 10 year no title needed limit. A few were 10 years and one month old. I am sure there is a buy here pay here lot not getting paid.

On a side note, I got called about 18 years ago to pick up a really nice Honda Odyssey. If I recall it was only about 2 years old. I asked for the title and they told me they didn't get one. I smelled stink, and I made an excuses to come back later.

I went by the dealership that was on the sticker on the back of the van. They had been looking for the van for several months.

I got a call from the person who called me to pick it up the next morning, saying they were going to call the police because I stole thier van. I told them to call the dealership, and see if it had been repoed. I never heard back from them, or the police, or even got a thank you from the dealership.
Years ago I worked in a garage and we had a woman bring her car in saying something was wrong w it.We drove it and couldnt find anything,It was there about three weeks before the repo found it.She was using us to hide her car.

Recently I was looking for a truck. I found so many that 1. had title, but not in their name 2. had title and it had been signed, but not notarized 3. Lost title. and so on. Finally bought a truck, titled in TN, owner had signed, but notary not needed there, only for the buyer. Was no problem took it the DMV, they notarized my signature, had title in a couple weeks.

Also folks will buy a vehicle that they signed the title but never titled it (for whatever reason) and resold to somebody else.In TN you have to go back to the signee,on the back of the title.get them to pay the taxes,register it in their name,get a title and then sign it over. Nobody is gonna do that on a $1000 beater.In TN they will not give you a title unless you register it,regardless if it runs or not.If you have a vehicle that hasnt ran in 20 years and is in 1000 pieces in 20 different boxes youre not gonna get a title,in your name,unless you pay the taxes and buy a tag first.

Not sure if you see it in your area, but I was at a scrap yard in Maryland a few month ago while cleaning off a job site and their pay window had a big flyer on it "X amount per lb for vehicles WITH title" "X amount per lb for vehicles WITHOUT a title". First time I had seen that one.

Not sure if you see it in your area, but I was at a scrap yard in Maryland a few month ago while cleaning off a job site and their pay window had a big flyer on it "X amount per lb for vehicles WITH title" "X amount per lb for vehicles WITHOUT a title". First time I had seen that one.
Interesting, why would the scrap yard care?

Back