Aluminum diff covers

Banks never published any of their results. It’s still inconclusive. I run a Mag Hytec for the warm and fuzzy. Can’t tell you it does anything more than that. Looks cool!

thanks for the link. Didn't think to search this time....my bad. Will study the vids and yalls feedback.

please dont take that as any kind of 'you should have searched' response...ust saw a_kelley post and knew how to find that thread quickly as I remembered a keyword used in it that would have few results

I'd stay with the stock cover, as long as there's nothing wrong with the setup and you're not overloading the truck the diff should never get hot. The banks videos had a lot of good information on fluid flow and aeration, worth the watch if you have the time.

I'd stay with the stock cover, as long as there's nothing wrong with the setup and you're not overloading the truck the diff should never get hot. The banks videos had a lot of good information on fluid flow and aeration, worth the watch if you have the time.

I would imagine with a tall ratio the gears/bearings would start to warm up on a long pull. What are we establishing as hot? 200 degrees and up?

This is a 10 bolt after all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might just be me, but,..... I guess depending on the load, But I guess I can't get past the hauling a load with a 10 bolt. I had one in my Burban, and switched it out for a 14 bolt semi float, with a limited slip.

I would imagine with a tall ratio the gears/bearings would start to warm up on a long pull. What are we establishing as hot? 200 degrees and up?

This is a 10 bolt after all....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

250F is max operating that most recommend. I wouldn't worry until you start getting to 230F, honestly I have never measured mine. Good fluid (75W-140 Lucas) and regular change intervals would go way further IMO than some aftermarket cover.

I know they're still a 10 bolt but aren't they slightly different than the older fragile 10 bolts since these are the AAM version?

I did switch the fluid to Amsoil shortly after I bought the thing....had 40k miles on it. I probably won't be pulling anything too heavy for any long distance. The travel trailer only weighs 3000 pounds plus a bed load of campsite necessities. Pulled the K5 on a trailer for a few hours. Not going to the trouble to switch out the axle on this '11. After yalls comments, I will just leave well enough alone and leave the factory cover. Thanks!

250F is max operating that most recommend. I wouldn't worry until you start getting to 230F, honestly I have never measured mine. Good fluid (75W-140 Lucas) and regular change intervals would go way further IMO than some aftermarket cover.

I know they're still a 10 bolt but aren't they slightly different than the older fragile 10 bolts since these are the AAM version?
85w 140 :flipoff2:

Back