AMC 20 Lockright problem

Flipper

My mechanic (trusted over 20 years) just called and said he can't fit the lockright into the carrier on my AMC 20. Said the cross pins are too small and the side gears won't fit in it.

Think lockright sent me the wrong locker or should I find another carrier (there is a chance the carrier he is using is a 2.73, I have the larger carrier also I can give him)?

Thanks

Did your amc 20 come with some type of factory trac-lock? If so the lockright won't fit if you got the one for the open diff. There are two options when buying the lockright - open or trac-loc. Otherwise it's hard to tell without seeing the carrier. Maybe you could use your spare carrier?

Hodie

The lower geard lock right won't fit into the higher geared setup, I don't think. Call Lockright and they'll be able to tell you for sure.

I went to my mechanic and looked at it, and sure enough the pinion shaft included in the lockright is way to small for the carrier. I went home and pulled my spare carrier, and it's exactly the same as the other one. Neither had trac loc (although the axle code on one of the housings said it was an orginal trac-lok). I'm going to go down to smithfield to eastern automotive and see if they've got some carriers laying around. I really hate those guys but i'm against a wall. Any other ideas? I hate to think I've got the wrong lockrite

You might want to re-check the part number on your lockright. Maybe they did send you the wrong one. Maybe for a different axle?

update:
somehow I ended up with two trac-lock carriers! One i knew was b/c I could see the unit, the other was bare (but of course looked exactly the same). I went down to eastern automotive and they had the open unit, but of course they'd only sell it with spider gears and bearings installed, so I payed an embarrassing amount for it (I was entirely tired of dealing with it). But it's back together and fits perfectly!

Back