AN6 High pressure power steering line.

ghost

So I got this line in April. Wheeled Harlan this summer and Gulches a few times. Failed at the swivel by the pump recently. I sent a message to them but have not heard back.

Amazon product ASIN B0BM564GJ7
At lunch today I went to NAPA and they could not make it. Suggested a heavy equipment repair company in Lugoff. So I went over and got a new line made. The fittings look different on the inside. Looks like a flair fitting. It does seal and appears ok but I think its the wrong fitting and will come loose and leak. Do AN fittings slide over an oring and that seals them or are they flared? Is there a typical fitting that would screw onto the AN and seal but not seal right? It's not leaking atm but I have a bad feeling. I'm new to AN fittings and trying to learn.

The only “an” line I know of to handle power steering fluid and psi is one of two.

Teflon tube and high pressure fittings and hydraulic line and fittings.

Normal braided hose and “an” or JIC fittings meant for fuel, oils, transmission etc, won’t like the psi.

Normal AN stuff is a straight thread that has a tapered seat. This taper ensure a seal at the fitting when tightened.

I wouldn't want a swivel hyd fitting unless it's absolutely necessary. A 90 adapter at one end with a hose that has a straight on one end, and the 90 on the other would be more reliable, and cheaper.

Also, I've made hundreds of industrial or heavy truck hyd hoses. They don't have O-rings in them where thay are crimped to the hose. Aluminum AN fittings aren't really the best for steering. When you say it looks like a flair fitting, are you talking about the part of the fitting that makes the seal to pump/ram. Should be a JIC fitting. AN may use a different angle on the interface.

Ok so I have a PSC pump that came with a motor I bought years ago. I put it on finally and from what I read the high pressure output was an AN6. So I found adapter for my box that goes from stock jeep treads to an AN6. I then found that line that says its for power steering. I'm new to all this so trying to learn. The line the shop made today fits and seems to not leak so far. I'll drive the jeep around the yard some before this weekend and see what happens. Hopefully I wont be that guy this weekend at URE.

The only “an” line I know of to handle power steering fluid and psi is one of two.

Teflon tube and high pressure fittings and hydraulic line and fittings.

Normal braided hose and “an” or JIC fittings meant for fuel, oils, transmission etc, won’t like the psi.

Normal AN stuff is a straight thread that has a tapered seat. This taper ensure a seal at the fitting when tightened.
Dude JIC fittings will hand a LOT of pressure and an insane amount of flow and literally are used to carry fuels oil and transmission or whatever you said. not sure what you are doing with that one…

Dude JIC fittings will hand a LOT of pressure and an insane amount of flow and literally are used to carry fuels oil and transmission or whatever you said. not sure what you are doing with that one…
Most AN6 PTFE line is rated for 3000 working pressure and 10000 burst, I would think that is plenty for a power steering system. Now there's all sorts of AN lines out there so you have to be specific but should handle it fine?

I was referring to the standard nylon braid or ssbraid rubber hose. The cheap stuff that’s used for everything, that has no place on a power steering pressure line.

I was thinking more about the hose to fitting interface when I first read OP question and responded.

Later I realized the question was more about the fitting interface itself and not the hose-fitting junction.

Last edited:
Most AN6 PTFE line is rated for 3000 working pressure and 10000 burst, I would think that is plenty for a power steering system. Now there's all sorts of AN lines out there so you have to be specific but should handle it fine?
The line will hold.
The fittings are not rated for that much.

I was referring to the standard nylon braid or ssbraid rubber hose. The cheap stuff that’s used for everything, that has no place on a power steering pressure line.

I was thinking more about the hose to fitting interface when I first read OP question and responded.

Later I realized the question was more about the fitting interface itself and not the hose-fitting junction.
100%

Even some of the best AN fittings money can buy (Brown and Miller) are int he 800/1000psi burst range. Nowhere near close to pressures needed for a power steering system.

Back