Android Issues?

Chris_Keziah

Joe Dirt @ Rev Limit Fab
Any one else having any issue with incoming calls just showing up as the number calling and not the contact that's saved in the phone? Just started today, no new updates that I remember. All my Google searching yielded shit that was old and didn't work.

If you are using a 3rd party app for that, the "Android store" stopped allowing apps permissions to use your contacts like a week ago. The call recorder app I use is about useless now.

If you are using a 3rd party app for that, the "Android store" stopped allowing apps permissions to use your contacts like a week ago. The call recorder app I use is about useless now.
You can set what permissions each app has on a per-app basis. Just look at the properties under the Apps tab in settings.

Rebooted the phone yet?

Yup, tried the "IT Thing" a few times.

Using the default Samsung phone app.

You can set what permissions each app has on a per-app basis. Just look at the properties under the Apps tab in settings.

There's actually nothing you can do about it, this is a new set of rules from google regarding what permissions they will allow apps in their app store to have. I guess I could root my phone and find an old version but I shouldn't have to.

There's actually nothing you can do about it, this is a new set of rules from google regarding what permissions they will allow apps in their app store to have. I guess I could root my phone and find an old version but I shouldn't have to.
You can thank Facebook for that.

You can thank Facebook for that.

Actually...
Not facebook fallout.
The FCC sent a letter to carriers last month telling them to control the spam/robo/scam calls or the FCC was going to get rid of them.
The caller ID is the first step in a multi step process. Apple and Google have the same thing happening here. The intent is to control what caller id info is broadcast and then to block bad senders.

Sat in a meeting with one of the 2 largest cell carriers last week (I cant say which 3 letter copany it was because of NDA agreements) about the implications and some new hardware going in on tower sites and it effects on power consumption.

The good news is you wont be harassed by car/health insurance and student loan robo calls much longer....the bad news is the wild west got a little tamer.

Actually...
Not facebook fallout.
The FCC sent a letter to carriers last month telling them to control the spam/robo/scam calls or the FCC was going to get rid of them.
The caller ID is the first step in a multi step process. Apple and Google have the same thing happening here. The intent is to control what caller id info is broadcast and then to block bad senders.

Sat in a meeting with one of the 2 largest cell carriers last week (I cant say which 3 letter copany it was because of NDA agreements) about the implications and some new hardware going in on tower sites and it effects on power consumption.

The good news is you wont be harassed by car/health insurance and student loan robo calls much longer....the bad news is the wild west got a little tamer.

No one gonna offer me an extended warranty on my 300k Toyota Camry any more? I like to let them give their spill and then tell them how many miles are on all of my vehicles, they end the call pretty quick.

Is that really a thing?

I get a suspected spam caller maybe once a month, but the phone catches it.

In any event, it sounds like Chris's problem is with his phone app not having permission to access his contacts. That has nothing to do with caller ID.

I'm using the default phone app, and have no problems.

Conversly I got no less than 4 today. Now that isn't everyday but i can't remember the last day i didn't get 1.

Arguing to aforementioned carrier, unwanted calls account for roughly 3% of all domestic cellular calls.

Arguing to aforementioned carrier, unwanted calls account for roughly 3% of all domestic cellular calls.

That's got to be a low number. Most all of my incoming calls are unwanted. That's not the same as spam, though.

I hate to say it, but I agree with @shawn
About 1% of the calls I receive are times I actually wanted to answer the phone.

What I haven't seen discussed by FCC & others, are the Blocks of numbers sold by the Carriers, to the Robo's! No wonder you Can't block them. They just call you on another number. Hard to Block a 1000 or more numbers, that Robo's
buy! Stop selling them numbers, & the calls will cease!

What I haven't seen discussed by FCC & others, are the Blocks of numbers sold by the Carriers, to the Robo's! No wonder you Can't block them. They just call you on another number. Hard to Block a 1000 or more numbers, that Robo's
buy! Stop selling them numbers, & the calls will cease!

They don't have to sell them. The robos are almost exclusively voip, spoofing cid data.
It's how you can get a call from your own number.

Mine was so bad, I screen every call not in my contacts. I got 10 or more a day. When you run a small business, I assume they get your number from the Sec of State or other public information.

I downloaded Hiya a while back and it cut it by 2/3rd.

I get about 3-5 junk calls per month. Wife gets 3-5 per day. Both of us on Verizon with numbers we've had for 15+years, mine Android, hers iPhone. I list my number and sell stuff on the internet all the time, she never lists her number on the internet. Go figure.

Back