Another noob - any good places to start near Apex?

bigdumbdane

All,
I got a jeep wrangler at the end of last summer, and have thouroghly enjoyed it.
So I have been looking around for places to go.
My jeep is still stock, and I am too cheap to get a winch (got a come-along and some straps :) ) so its gotta be a bunny slope -
thanks in advance-

awww.horsepowerjunkies.com_smilies_popc1.gif

there are NO LEGAL public wheeling areas around Apex that I know of. Wait a few more weeks and take it to URE.
There are plenty of "bunny slopes" there.

greg slade said:
there are NO LEGAL public wheeling areas around Apex that I know of. Wait a few more weeks and take it to URE.
There are plenty of "bunny slopes" there.

I should have clarified that- yes, I mean LEGAL spots (and it looks like there are none). I have no desire to have someone chasing me with a shotgun.

So - as a noob- what is URE? Where is it? any links?

Thanks

There are no legal trails in RTP or the rest of the triangle area.
Do some searching and see what you can find out about Uwharrie (URE).

hobie said:
There are no legal trails in RTP or the rest of the triangle area.
Do some searching and see what you can find out about Uwharrie (URE).

OK thanks for translating the abbreviation - I know the uwharrie range -that made sense, wife and I ride motorcycles around there -

Bear with me people, when I say NOOB I mean it. I thought from the description of this category, I thought this was the place to start.

Ok - just one more question -

http://ncnatural.com/NCUSFS/orv.html
Are these the only OHV (hah! I just learned that term) places in NC? Is there a FAQ that I am just too stupid to find that has these answers?
Thanks

From your description of your experiences you sounded a lot younger. Hook up with someone going to URE in the future events category. You don't NEED much more than tow points, spares, and a strap for URE. As long as your vehicle is maintained properly, and you're not going out in a death trap that was lucky to make it to URE most folks will be happy to help. I know CNC does some fairly regular runs, and has folks that can guide even a NOOB through 99% of URE.

http://www.cnc4x4.org/trails_n_maps.asp

J

hobie said:
From your description of your experiences you sounded a lot younger. Hook up with someone going to URE in the future events category. You don't NEED much more than tow points, spares, and a strap for URE. As long as your vehicle is maintained properly, and you're not going out in a death trap that was lucky to make it to URE most folks will be happy to help. I know CNC does some fairly regular runs, and has folks that can guide even a NOOB through 99% of URE.

http://www.cnc4x4.org/trails_n_maps.asp

J

URE is a very good place for you to go

bigdumbdane said:
So I have been looking around for places to go.

RUN !! NOW !!
Run away as fast as you can or give up hope of ever seeing cash in your wallet again !!

Don't go to UNF, it's like the drug dealer giving out that first hit of crack.....

Park your Jeep and save yourself.

Diane said:
RUN !! NOW !!
Run away as fast as you can or give up hope of ever seeing cash in your wallet again !!
Don't go to UNF, it's like the drug dealer giving out that first hit of crack.....
Park your Jeep and save yourself.
Amen to that! It's pretty addicting.

If you stick around and read what’s going on in the forums you’ll soon realized that most of the folks on here would give you the shirt off their backs (if you're responsible and have some common sense) and are generally gracious individuals. However, you even try to mention illegal wheelin, taking alcohol into ORV’s, trying to “jerry-rig†something, or not coming prepared, and you can be sure someone’s gonna lay into you.
It would behoove you to watch the upcoming events forum and look for a date at URE that you can make, then make arrangements to meet some people from here down there, and maybe hitch a ride shotgun with a capable rig.
Not to be an ass or anything, but the LAST thing you want to be is that guy everyone has to throw a line to on every obstacle (meaning don't try to take your stock jeep, and lack of experience down there). Really, there are plenty of people who ride solo that wouldn’t mind giving you a ride in a rig noone needs to baby-sit. Plus you'll get to see all the trails and what it takes to make it over them. It's 100x more fun than getting in over your head.

hobie said:
From your description of your experiences you sounded a lot younger.

I am 32, with the maturity level of a 15 year old :)

Thanks a lot for all the tips folks - I plan on going to uhwarrie with the family (wife, 7 and 6 yo kids). I will stay on the bunny slopes, as this is just something to get the family out - want to make sure I come back with all of them. Wife hates it when I loose kids.

To be honest, I didnt even think about what I was doing or if it was illegal - I asked the construction folks that were there (in RTP) where the trails went, and they said they didnt know, they just see jeeps and things going in all the time.
In retrospect, not sure why I thought it was ok to go in there - not thinking I guess - or not educated on the legal aspect of it all.

bigdumbdane said:
In retrospect, not sure why I thought it was ok to go in there - not thinking I guess - or not educated on the legal aspect of it all.

Or you've been hanging out on too many other off road sites :) Stick around here and educate yourself.

Back