Anti-coning on DIY beadlocks

cj777

Just curious to see what everyone is using for anti-coning in their beadlocks. I've heard everything from v-belts to uhmw and welded in metal strips. What are you using and how has it worked for you?

1/2" wide, 1/8th thick flat bar, hand rolled over a BBQ propane bottle. Should have used 3/4" wide. Other than that, works fine.

Can you show us a pic?

This is always what I've seen...
beadlock11.jpg

DSC00650.jpg

Forgive my ignorance, but what does this do? Sorta looks like it helps align, keeps the outer plate from bowing all to crap, and stuff like that. I could be wrong though!

It multiplies the clamping pressure on the bead of the tire when you tighten the bolts down. If no ACR, the outer bead lock will bend toward the inside of the ring, producing the coning effect.

correct, it essentially causes the outer ring to cone towards the tire vs the center of the wheel. Ideally you pick a thickness that is the same thickness as the bead of the tire. That way it stays relatively flat and it isnt a pain to reuse/reinstall.

This was an interesting design I just saw from here.
awww.mayhemmetalworks.com_images_wheel1.png

edit. it's only meant to center the tire to the wheel but something similar would/should work. Just would have to work with thickness though.

Left over uhmw also makes great chew toy for dogs. My dog chewed on a piece about a ft long for 5 months and he is hard on toys

Back