antique NC plates

Chuckman

ok, if you know for sure(!) please tell me the benefits of a NC antique plates. I will be looking into registering/titling a 45 military jeep (from out of state), and I need to know the best way to do this, antique or otherwise.

As far as antique classification, you probably already have that based on vehicle age, not from a special tag. (Antique classification meaning smog exemption, maybe a difference in taxes, etc) If you can find an old (example - 1945, but it doesn't have to be) tag, it can be registered, as long as the letter/number combo on it is not being used currently by any other tag in the state (new/old/personalized/etc). I'll ask at work and try to find out more info, and ask about any old tags laying around.

There is none. costs the same if not more. after a certain age you can run the same year model tag but seems like you have to register it or carry your correct tag in the vehicle. Thats what they told me at the DMV cause I was wondering the same thing about my 72 ford truck.

Sorry I basically repeated but had my post typed out and had to leave the computer earlier.

Basically what Kenneth said. You register it and get a plate like any other car. You can put the year matching tag on the vehicle but must keep the new plate & registration in the vehicle.

Basically what Kenneth said. You register it and get a plate like any other car. You can put the year matching tag on the vehicle but must keep the new plate & registration in the vehicle.
This, simply go get a tag as usual, keep it in the glove compartment/under the seat, and mount your year correct tag on the vehicle. If you are pulled, show them the correct tag. I have never heard of anyone having issues with it and in fact:

NCGS said:
§ 20‑63
(d) Registration plates issued for a motor vehicle other than a motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer shall be attached thereto, one in the front and the other in the rear: Provided, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle other than a truck‑tractor, said registration plate shall be attached to the rear of the motor vehicle. The registration plate issued for a truck‑tractor shall be attached to the front thereof. Provided further, that when only one registration plate is issued for a motor vehicle and this motor vehicle is transporting a substance that may adhere to the plate so as to cover or discolor the plate or if the motor vehicle has a mechanical loading device that may damage the plate, the registration plate may be attached to the front of the motor vehicle.
Any motor vehicle of the age of 35 years or more from the date of manufacture may bear the license plates of the year of manufacture instead of the current registration plates, if the current registration plates are maintained within the vehicle and produced upon the request of any person.
The Division shall provide registered owners of motorcycles and motorcycle trailers with suitably reduced size registration plates.

You can also simply get an "antique" license plate the same way you apply for any other special/personalized plate, but I don't know any benefits to those except you pay the extra $$ for it. I don't see those too often.

You can also simply get an "antique" license plate the same way you apply for any other special/personalized plate, but I don't know any benefits to those except you pay the extra $$ for it. I don't see those too often.

I was at the DMV last month to renew the CJ, clerk asked me if I wanted an antique tag. Said biggest advantage is your property tax value is limited to $500. I asked about driving restrictions (mileage, daytime only, parades/event limitation) and she said there were none. I wasn't sure this was correct (used to be restrictions), so I got a normal plate. They upped my tax value to $4500 now, up from $400 a few years ago, so that would be a nice thing.

Does anybody know for sure about the driving restrictions with an antique tag registration? NCDOT's website is useless.

DP

Heres the deal on running an old tag.

You get a new tag issued to you by the DMV. You put your sticker on it and you keep it with the vehicle at all times. It does not need to be displayed. You can put it in the glove box, under the seat, in the window. It doesn't matter. And then put the old the on the vehicle. The old tag IS NOT registered, recorded or otherwise documented to our vehicle.

Now, if you want to save yourself some hassle, go to the DMV and ask for the letter from them that explains you are allowed to do this and keep it in the vehicle as well. This way when Johhny Copper pulls you over for not having proper tags, and he will, you can show him the letter and teach him something before being dismissed.

My old '67 D100 had a tag from 1967 on it that was last registered to an old International truck. I got pulled and showed him the letter from the DMV and he said ok, sorry to bother you. The DMV gave the letter to me when I registered the truck because most cops don't know this is legal.

Seems to me it would be, but it's not.

You dont need a letter. Just print off a copy of GS 20-63 in case the leo that stops you is not familiar with this statue. If he/she works alot of traffic then they should know about it.
I believe the antique tag does save you some money on your yearly property taxes.

Being its from out of state the DMV will need to personally see it & inspect it. (you take it by a drivers license office). Then it will take a month or so to get the titleback. My dad recently brought my grandmothers Dart down from PA. there was an out of state fee also. Total it was $180 or so.

I've been running a year of manufacture tag on our JEEP for about 3 years now. Have hot had any issues from any cops. I don't think they have even given the tags a second look.

Back