Any experience with a Ford V10?

Ron

Dum Spiro Spero
I have come across a nice little deal on a F250 with the 6.8 V10.

Question is does anyone have experience with this motor? Specifically the first incarnation (truck is a '99).

I have read all the mixed reviews online.

Been scared about piston slap, and heard from numerous that it ws no problem.

My question now is, anyon have experince 1st hand?
How are they for towing?
What is avg MPG? (this isnt a big deal company gas cad, just curious)

They dont do quite as bad on gas as the Dodge V-10. I know a guy with the Ford ten cylender and he gets about 14-15 mpg with his.

they are strong motors, and smooth. my old man has had 2 of them. they are thirsty, but that was in a motor home, so i guess it was expected. his got 8 mpg on the highway, but had plenty of power, could pull a hill without downshifting, of course that isnt the best comparison to a truck, but, from our experience, they are good motors.

I've got the '00 f 250 with the triton v8. It's rated to tow 8000#'s and does it very well. Mileage ain't great at about 12 to 14 not towing and 8 to 10 with the bronco and trailer behind it. I can get to Tellico from High Point almost on one tank. I've been completetly happy with my truck and don't look at the fuel economy because you can't tow your rig with volkswagen so bite the bullet.

While not exactly "first hand", a good friend of mine runs an '00 F250 4x4 w/ V10 & auto... , but I've logged a couple thousand miles in it.

As said, a very strong mill... he's pulled a 35' tandem axle dually "construction flat" (guessing 20K# cap.) with 2 - 4k# Jeeps on it... ALOT! On one trip, we went from Clayton GA to Blairsville (100 miles each way) up & down the hills (reminded me alot of Joe Brown/Hanging Dog Rd. in Tellico)... suckered was bouncing off the rev limiter pulling most of the hills, but never missed a beat! I was sure the tranny/TC would let go and shove a DS up my a$$ the whole way! :D I think he averaged about 7MPG that round trip, but I know he regularly gets around 10-12 pulling...

He does have about everything Banks makes for that engine though (intake, exhaust manifolds, fat pipe, and engine/tranny modules)... it sounds totally wild.

If you'd like, I'll pass along his email address... I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any of your questions...

Back