Any one have a toy hauler

karatejosh

I'm looking at getting one so the wife and kido can come with me to Harlan win rock places of this nature my buggy is very small and light it's all toyota drive train 105 inches wheele base 76 inches wide and weighs 2600 pounds wet . What I have found us a jayco octane 222 it's 26ft long and cargo area is 78 inches wide and has up to 13 feet of space depending on wich layout I choose they claim 4600 pounds dry and gross is 8k and I have a brand new tundra tow raiting 11k I'm not new to trailers but have never owned any thing of this size any advice would be awsome is jayco a good company? are there any other big questions I should be looking at I'm buying new I have got a few dealers down about 20% from msrp still trying to do a little better thanks in advance

Based on the trailer specs and your buggy weight listed above, the only way it would work is if the only thing you put in the trailer is the buggy.

As soon as you fill the water tank, put a propane bottle in it, groceries in the fridge, clothes and supplies, etc, the trailer is overloaded.

For reference, our trailer, fully loaded for the weekend with the Jeep in it (basically a stock TJ, for all intents and purposes) has about 6000-6500# of total cargo weight.

I figured it would leave me 500 for mis. Stuff but that would ha e me maxed out going through moutain. Roads and that has me very worried of corse the sales man says there over biult but you can't belive a word out of the mouth

Five hundred pounds isn't shit. Filling the fresh water tank is 480#. 20lb propane tanks are 40# each full. And trailers like these are under built, if anything. The camper you're looking at is designed to haul a rzr or maybe a couple of quads. You'll probably have a hard time getting enough tongue weight, too, especially since you only have 500 pounds to counter balance the weight of the rig.

The beauty of having a trailer like this is in being able to fill the fridge, put some water in the tank, and have all the conveniences of home right there with you every time you stop. If you have to drain the tanks before you hit the road, or you have to pay attention to every ounce that goes in the refrigerator, you're missing out on a lot of the benefits.

And... I don't think there's any way in hell you can do it with a Tundra. Diesel dually and a triple axle tag or gooseneck, then work back from there.

That is super cool unfortunately the only reason to get one was to get the wife and daughter to come with me and that's just not going to keep here happy lol the jayco was a real camper that just happened to have a garage door and that's what made it appealing but I'm back to the drawing board for now I guess

I know I know but I just got this truck last month and I love it a new truck is not a option for a few years

I recently started going through this same research but on a smaller scale. I haul the dirtbike and camp on a regular basis but need a new trailer for the rig as well. I briefly considered a Toyhauler setup now that I have another diesel. If you HAVE to have the full enclosed kind of setup you might start looking for an enclosed and build it out to your required amentities. You may even find one over on RacingJunk from someone that is upgrading or getting out all together. Every toyhauler I have seen for a reasonable price is horribly underaxled for what we use them for with the rigs so that rules them out almost immediately. IIRC most of the larger bumper pull toy haulers only have around 4500-5500 of cargo carrying capacity. Shawn is right, once you add up the water, fuel, propane etc you're closing in on the max GVWR and almost certainly over with a rig, even yours. Almost all of them were built with 1 golf cart, RZR, dirtbikes and quads in mind. With the tow rating on the Tundra, that will probably be your next limiting factor once you find something that can handle the weight of the rig, living quarters and all of your family's gear.

If I was in your situation, I would probably be looking at a bumper pull trailer around 22-24ft and then put a newer pop up camper on the front with some AC, its kind of a compromise, but should work fine. The axles at that length of a trailer will handle the weight of your micro-machine with ease and the total package shouldn't close in on the Tundra tow rating as much as an enclosed anything.

http://www.theoutpostrv.com/

I know its a haul out there but they are the best placed price I have found. The south is slim pickings for truck campers and the ones your find are over priced. I've been looking for another since I sold mine, and I will probably be looking into going out there to get one

uploadfromtaptalk1435064490463.jpg

You make a very good point my main problem with that would be the maintenance that's a bunch of tires and a 12 year old rv I trust my tundra I drive it every day I'm not sure I want to make my longest trips in a vehicle that gets used so little I feel like that's asking for problems all that being said that thing sure is nice and I may look into that option as well

Here is another consideration.
If you mess your daily driver up towing to play, then how do you get to work on Monday?

The answer to your question about the slide in goes like this:
Slide in weight + Pin/tongue weight of loaded trailer ?<?> haul(not tow) rating of tundra.

Being that the camper weighs 2,000lbs by itself...

Not a huge conern for me the tundra is bumper to bumper for the next 5 years and it will be gone before that runs out they give me a loner car wile they have it but your right even with 300 pounds of tounge weight it would probly be to much

Back