Any real radiator shops left?

Ron

Dum Spiro Spero
I need a couple copper/brass radiators repaired.
Anyone left that does it?
I think both have small holes but I haven't confirmed.

Looking for someone who brazes not stuffs playdoh in holes.

Anyone have anybody they can recommend?

Getting ready to make the same suggestion Hwy 16 next to fire department
Sweet one of my old friends is either chief or asst chief at east Lincoln...haven’t seen him in a few years. Sounds like a good excuse to have lunch with an old friend

Last edited:
There used to be a place off of N. Tryon st. in Charlotte. I hadn't been there in years so not sure if it is still there.
Hovis Radiator? Maybe summit street? I used them years ago. I think they are still open. Was happy with the work,

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I bet an HVAC buddy (if you have one) could braze it. I helped the last hvac guy install my new unit and he did a kick ass job at brazing all of the copper connections. I’m guessing it would be the same.

I bet an HVAC buddy (if you have one) could braze it. I helped the last hvac guy install my new unit and he did a kick ass job at brazing all of the copper connections. I’m guessing it would be the same.
Really want someone with a vat tank to boil it good .
Then pressure test it. Then fix it.

Used to be a radiator shop in every small town, now they are a dinosaur.

As an alternate I’d pay well for a new quality made copper/brass radiator ..but Lonnie makes it. It’s either plastic tanks or Chinese aluminum

Really want someone with a vat tank to boil it good .
Then pressure test it. Then fix it.

Used to be a radiator shop in every small town, now they are a dinosaur.

As an alternate I’d pay well for a new quality made copper/brass radiator ..but Lonnie makes it. It’s either plastic tanks or Chinese aluminum
I’d want it done right as well. Just an option if you were trying to do it for cheap. Out of curiosity, what are you working on?

If you need, Holmes Welding and Radiator in Garner, used to be Sapps Radiator, same people, just minor business move a few years ago.
Just repaired this one for me last week, machine got so hot it melted the solder out of the tank end....
D426BCA2-D519-434E-B2F2-19A4974F9338.jpeg

I’d want it done right as well. Just an option if you were trying to do it for cheap. Out of curiosity, what are you working on?
Square body chevy

If you need, Holmes Welding and Radiator in Garner, used to be Sapps Radiator, same people, just minor business move a few years ago.
Just repaired this one for me last week, machine got so hot it melted the solder out of the tank end....
View attachment 331907

Isn't there one in Wilson too? I know Dan has taken a few of ours off to be repaired and I though he went to Wilson, or maybe Goldsboro?

Isn't there one in Wilson too? I know Dan has taken a few of ours off to be repaired and I though he went to Wilson, or maybe Goldsboro?

maybe ? Goldsboro I think, probably Wilson too, I don’t go that direction much so I don’t know. Anything I do in Smithfield ends up in Raleigh if needed.

Several companies I worked for used "The Cooling Center", on the I-85 service road, at Billy Graham. Probably the radiator in my CJ, I bought new from them, through a company. So I had thought well of them. Top tank started leaking. I should have just melted some more soldor on it. I took it to them, told them about the leak, & asked them to check it over. Guess I left the Door open, & didn't get a quote either. When I returned to pick it up, it was something like $177! I asked What did they Do? Well, we had to boil it out & remove the top tank, to solder it. And while we had the tank off, we rodded the core out. Told them I only paid $180 for it Brand New from them! Wish they had called me before they did all that, But, I Did leave it up to them. Been 2 years, & I may have the same leak again. Or it's spilled overflow. Next time I'll Price a new radiator, copper, & aluminum. I see more & more aluminum replacements now.

You can still get new copper and brass radiators... https://www.summitracing.com/search...del/k10-pickup/radiator-material/copper-brass They are twice what the new junk is but worth it in my opinion. I have run one in my trail jeep since day one. Still going strong. You said Square body so I assume a K truck.

do you know anyone who has actually got one of these?

I ordered one about two years ago, was told it was special order 4-6 weeks. I finally canceled the order after 6 months and no firm ship date.

do you know anyone who has actually got one of these?

I ordered one about two years ago, was told it was special order 4-6 weeks. I finally canceled the order after 6 months and no firm ship date.
Those no but I did get one for the jeep not long ago. It may have been a couple years though. It either came from Summit or 1-800- Radiator. Someone has to make one for the Chevy K trucks.

Us Radiator? Chevrolet Truck, 1978-80 V8 19 Inch Tall Radiator

Last edited:
I dont know about the US Radiator for a K truck, but I put one of their copper / brass high effiecieny units in my 55 Bel-Air 4 years ago. So far so good. I can let the car idle as long as I want too, or sit in traffic jams and the temp never climbs above 190°F.

Those no but I did get one for the jeep not long ago. It may have been a couple years though. It either came from Summit or 1-800- Radiator. Someone has to make one for the Chevy K trucks.

Us Radiator? Chevrolet Truck, 1978-80 V8 19 Inch Tall Radiator
US Radiator was the only one I had found and they were close to $1,000.
I havent thought of 1-800 in years might be worth a call.

Its just an old beater/farm truck. I hate plastic tanks hence why I wanted to try and repair original. Cant see an 800 radiator in a 1200 truck

Back