Anybody built a log house?

59Willys

We are looking at all the different manufacturers and there are almost too many out there. Anybody had good/bad experience or suggestions about types of logs, etc.

We are looking for a NC distributor since freight is so expensive now...any comments appreciated.

have fun bleaching and pressure washing every spring from now until you sell the house ;)

lincon logs does a pretty good job. You can build a nice one in less than a day and if you dont like it you can do it over. for cheap to. lol

91yota said:
have fun bleaching and pressure washing every spring from now until you sell the house ;)
Yeah, my buddy has one and he hates all the maintenance that goes with a log home. Beautiful but a PITA.

I love it, but it is a major PITA
thats not what was asked though

Appalachain log homes does a great job, and has excellent resources after sale as far as maintenance, clean and jacking

Also there is a company in Rocky Mount VA, that we loved.
Me and wife toured factory, went appalachain because of lead time, but i would just as easily go with the company in rocky mount, though i dont remember their name

I was going to have one built, but I could not find a piece of property that suited me. I talked to the folks at Southland Log Homes out on I-40. The salesman told me the the model home is about 7-8 yrs old and has never been treated since the initial build and treatment. It still looks good. They prepare the logs in a kiln or something to dry and pre-shrink them. I was reading up on it a fair amount, but that has been about 1.5 yrs ago. I think the old ones required more maintenance, but the modern techniques of preparing the logs changes that. I would recommend talking to the folks out there. None of the floor plans quite suited me though, so I was going to have one custom designed which they regularly do.

What log profile and corner joint do you prefer?

I've been interested in building one for a few years now. I went to the Log Home Expo at Charlotte a couple of years ago. I was disapointed in the show. The manufacturer's displays were copies of their magizine ads. Some had small walls built that you could look over, but nothing as impressive as the ones in the ads for the Expo. Wasn't all bad, I did get a year subscription on one of the log home magizines for my $15 admission fee.

If I'm able to build a log home, I plan on going with Stonemill Log Homes in Tennesse. I like the looks of their homes with large rectangular logs with dovetail corners and wide chinking. Much better than the stack of telephone poles look common to other milled log homes. Just my opinion.

We talked to the people at Southland, but after going back again the construction method just didnt impress us alot. They use a lot of short logs, which makes for lots of joints and lots of caulk. The one in Mooresville had logs in the living room wall that werent even 4 ft long!

We like the square logs with dovetails. Stonemill really impressed us with their construction method, but with freight costs now, they might be out of the question. they said they don't splice anything under 40 ft. Makes for a great house.

Right now we are looking at LockTite logs - laminated log beams. These are 6x12. We went to their sawmill, and although it is a small operation, they really do produce a quality product with very precise dovetail joints. Today we visited a home they are building up on Lake Norman and were impressed with the way it is looking. The laminated logs seem to take a lot of the shrink/swell/warp issue out of building.

They are figuring a price on a kit for us now...will keep you posted on progress. Thanks for your info....please post anything that might be informative!

Gold Hill log homes uses square logs with dovetail corners. They're local so freight distance should be short. Last time I looked, they didn't have a website. One of their homes was build in Richfield on Spring Street off of Gold Branch Road.

Didnt realize Gold Hill was still around. The house we live in now is a Gold Hill plan, inlaws built it but did it stick built rather than logs.

We will check with them too....thanks

Call Deep Creek Log HOmes in Knightdale NC 919-366-2882. I bought from them and have been in my house for one year. AWESOME people to deal with. No surprises (from them). They deal with the laminated logs. Custom floor plans are no problem. I spoke with almost every dealer in NC (I travel from the beach to Boone) and Deep Creek was the only ones that did not give me the "I will have to look into that".

Also, Deep Creek does not realy sell a "kit". They will build the home from the ground up. No issues about kit suplier not sending this or that. If the material is not there, there is no one to point fingers at. NO short logs in my house.

I have a friend that started a Southland kit at the same time as us, and he has yet to move in.

If you plan on being your own contractor or doing some of the work yourself, get in touch with me and I will be glad to tell my story.

Would like to talk to you about the laminated log beams..pm us your phone number when you get a chance. Thanks

We plan on building in the next year. Bear Creek Log Homes in Mocksville is another we have looked at along with Southland. At this point we are keeping our options open and shopping around.

Back