anybody get their motorcycle endorsement recently?

VortecJeep

Powered by Uranium-235
I passed the MSF class last weekend so I have a waiver for the skills test, but still have to take the written test at the DMV.
Just wondering how difficult the written exam is? Similar to the one in the class?

I passed the MSF class last weekend so I have a waiver for the skills test, but still have to take the written test at the DMV.
Just wondering how difficult the written exam is? Similar to the one in the class?
It’s been a few years, but if you’ve already taken a similar one you’ll be fine. I went in and winged it without opening a book. I missed the max amount but passed. If I’d at least skimmed over the manual I’d have been fine. It’s mostly common sense.

Got my learners permit a few months ago. written test was easy. The idiot at the desk tried his best to screw me over. Put a corrective lenses restriction on permit, after repeatedly being told and shown I dont wear any. Then said I had to redo the vison test, but wouldnt do it as it was almost 5......... Had to call and raise hell at Raleigh.

Got my learners permit a few months ago. written test was easy. The idiot at the desk tried his best to screw me over. Put a corrective lenses restriction on permit, after repeatedly being told and shown I dont wear any. Then said I had to redo the vison test, but wouldnt do it as it was almost 5......... Had to call and raise hell at Raleigh.
Am I going to have to take the vision test too? Or that was just because they messed yours up?

Am I going to have to take the vision test too? Or that was just because they messed yours up?

AFAIK you have to take the vision/road sign test.

It’s been a few years, but if you’ve already taken a similar one you’ll be fine. I went in and winged it without opening a book. I missed the max amount but passed. If I’d at least skimmed over the manual I’d have been fine. It’s mostly common sense.
I road all my life, failed the crap out of it. I thought the questions were written to trip you up and my instincts to situations must be dangerous I reckon.

I just got mine in April. No vision / sign test and the written test is pretty easy if you read through the manual first (which is available for download online)

I got my first MC license in Texas. Took the test while getting my license when I moved and only missed one question. Easy peasy! Been riding over 20 years. Moved to NC, didn’t read the book and failed miserably. Completely disagreed with some of the answers. Went home humiliated, read the book, got assimilated, came back and passed the test. :lol:

You need to read the book. There are enough NC specific questions to screw you up. One I remember was that they want you to cross railroad tracks at a 45 degree angle. That wasn't in the MSF.

they want you to cross railroad tracks at a 45 degree angle.
They never busted that ass on a greasy tree root side stepping on a slick clay hill.....

Seriously why is this a good idea?

They never busted that ass on a greasy tree root side stepping on a slick clay hill.....

I don't know. It seemed counter to what I was taught in the MSF which was to take an obstacle at a 90 degree and situp in the seat. That's why I got it and enough others wrong on the first try. I read the pamphlet and retested. I passed with ease on the second try.

You need to read the book. There are enough NC specific questions to screw you up. One I remember was that they want you to cross railroad tracks at a 45 degree angle. That wasn't in the MSF.

Glad you guys mentioned it, I had to go back to the NC book and look at that.
53100476-E05D-4351-AE56-BD69F431F2A9.png

Center lane has the most oil grease in rain. Pulling off to avoid rain is for sissy's. Riding in the tire tracks brings too close to the slick death trap road paint in rain. Increasing your speed is for Certified Riders only. I pick option E, none of the above.

11 years on mine. It was a transfer from FL when I transferred my CDL. Had to take the written test. I just barely passed it as I didn't know I had to take it and several of the questions didn't make sense to me and were counter to the MSF course.

My dad taught the MSF course for about 20 years at Johnson Community/Wake Tech. I helped out many a weekend. Took the class, scored a perfect score on the written/driving. Failed the NC test...passed it again the second time. Everytime I renew my DL, I add it back on even though I havent had a bike for years.

I got the train track question wrong. I remember that one. In my head I was thinking of all of the logs I’ve crossed on a dirt bike. If you hit a slick one at an angle, thou shalt eat shit. That front wheel is going with the angle of the log. I was never good enough to ride a wheelie over it. Now I want a dirt bike again. SMH.

My dad taught the MSF course for about 20 years at Johnson Community/Wake Tech. I helped out many a weekend. Took the class, scored a perfect score on the written/driving. Failed the NC test...passed it again the second time. Everytime I renew my DL, I add it back on even though I havent had a bike for years.
I don't know what it is about the NC motorcycle test. Years ago, I was getting my license transfered to Washington (no income tax is nice for military folks). I had to take the written test. They asked if I wanted to do the motorcycle test. I never even saw the book and I still passed. It was common sense stuff about riding to be seen and avoiding hazardous situations.

I road all my life, failed the crap out of it. I thought the questions were written to trip you up and my instincts to situations must be dangerous I reckon.
Like father like son. Strongly recommend reading the manual first to understand their weird methods. They are out to get you and all my answers were ass backwards as to what they wanted even though they were the “safest” option in my head 🙃

Back