Anyone heard of two-stage semi-ellliptic multileaf springs

05Coly

Anyone heard of this type of spring. I'm trying to come up with a way to increase the carrying capacity on my colorado since I haul a 600+ lb 4x4 quad and its quite a bit of weight for the stock springs i'v noticed, so I need to beef it up. Looking at just making my own leaf pack or adding some of those overload springs that you can get aftermarket.

And can someone tell me Spring Over Springs will work in a spring under configuration? My colorado has spring under.

I guess this should of gone in suspension, whoops....

About the easiest thing you could do is spring for some Timbren overload cushions. (google is your friend )

I'd be real careful loading that "truck" the frame isn't really much geared toward being used as a truck. ( If it were, a 600# quad wouldn't be such a problem)

Kevin

Thats probably the most weight it will haul. But I have put my 98 FourTrax 4x4 in the back and towed a trailer with a 99 FourTrax 2x4.

Total weight including passengers and cargo is rated up to 1500 lbs.

I use the K10 for any heavy hauling.

I mainly bought the truck to use as a daily driver, but if say I go to ride in WV its a long haul and expensive in the K10, i'm just trying to protect my springs from damage and it seems to squat a lot with the quad in the back and blind the people coming down the road, I get lots of high beam flashing with it loaded.

I did some searching on those overload cushions you mentioned and I really like the way those work, unlike regular bolt on steel spring helper springs those look like the ride quality will be maintained, which is nice because it doesn't ride too bad right now.

05Coly said:
Total weight including passengers and cargo is rated up to 1500 lbs.
Dang, the VW I drove in HS would haul more than that! :lol:

Anyways, with it being your DD *AND* still under warranty, sure you want to fawk it up with overloads that could make it ride worse than it does or void the warranty? (I know! anyone with 1/2 a brain wouldn't see a problem in doing it, but we're talking about folks that by hook or crook have to eat... and if it means crying foul on your warranty... :rolleyes: )

Why not find a larger trailer that will haul 1 or both ATVs... can be loaded so the arse of that plastic truck doesn't squat or overload *AND* retains the stock ride & warranty obligation from Chevy...

The trailer I was using for the one quad wasn't ours and I have access to one that could haul just one which is all I usually haul, but on occasion I haul two.
The only trailer we have that I could always have access to is a 6x12 single 3500 lb axle trailer, but i'm not sure if its a little too big or not. I believe my truck is rated to tow 2400 lbs with the 4 banger and 5 speed and 3.73 rear axle (I specifically asked for this axle instead of a 3.42). I'm taking a guess and saying the trailer weighs ~800 lbs, its made from angle iron frame wood deck, angle iron rails and landscape gate.
Do yall think this trailer would be too big to tow behind the colorado? A new trailer certainly isn't in the budget but towing a trailer would also allow room for gear in the bed.

Back