wich would you recomend

• 35"

Votes: 28 82.4%
  • 37"

Votes: 6 17.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

rocketjockey

Wondering if i could get some feed back and opinions.
my jeep info:
05 unlimited with auto trans
dana 30 front 44 rear
genright highline fenders with 2.5 spring lift.
i will also be doing a 1" body lift for the use of a belly up skid plate.
planing on arb lockers, new gears and chromo shafts.
genright says to run 35 with no lift. 4 wheel parts says to run 37 with the set up i have. there is a $100 dollar difference between the 35s and 37s plus with the 37 i will have to fork out another few $$$ to upgrade to a 17 inch wheel.
i guess my question is will the axle shafts hold up to 37s and will 35s look too small.
awww.genright.com_images_products_TFHFTJK_a_xl.jpg

awww.genright.com_images_products_TFF2120_Bobs_LJ_xl.jpg

Honestly im having problems with my 30 front with 34s its a ZJ tho and new axles aint cheap... Damn good looking rig tho!

Im running 38s TSL on a Dana 30 with 01 XJ Shafts 760X ujoints and 4.56 and Aussie in front with 1 ton steering and Im not having any problems.....I have more problems with hub assemblies going bad about every 9 months but they have a yr warranty just all in how you wheel....mine wouldnt servive really extreme rock krawling like moab or something like that but I creek bash it all the time

Im running 38s TSL on a Dana 30 with 01 XJ Shafts 760X ujoints and 4.56 and Aussie in front with 1 ton steering and Im not having any problems.....I have more problems with hub assemblies going bad about every 9 months but they have a yr warranty just all in how you wheel....mine wouldnt servive really extreme rock krawling like moab or something like that but I creek bash it all the time

Holy shit!

I've been running 34" tires on on stock axles with the small u-joints and stock gears. I break driver side shafts at the u-joint all the time. I just upgraded to chromoly shafts with the 760 joints and 4.56 gears. I plan to run 38" tires in the near future as soon as I lift the XJ some more. I don't expect any troubles out of the dana 30. I've upgraded my rear to the 8.8. Your rear will handle 37" without issue. I would go with the 37s. It will look much better.

I have Chromo shafts, lockers, and 4.56 gears in my D30 and D44 with 37" Iroks .... you know it's a time bomb, but i've been driving it easy and so far it's held up OK
ymmv

Steve

i ran 36 inch tsls on a hp30 and rear 44 with 4.56 gears and lockers in both axles. front had chromoly shafts. everyone says the front is a "polished turd" but it did great for me. i did put a couple of sets of hubs in it though

"InfantryYJ" was running that combo in his TJ (sold)...

D44R, D30F (w/ Lockrite) & 37"x12.50" MTRs

Broke a couple of short side shafts/joints (no idea if they were small or 760X) over the years, but that wasn't surprising given the situations & his "driving style"! :lol:

I had a buddy that was running 37 boggers under his 30/44 combo cj. He had warn shafts up front and dutchman in the rear. He gave that jeep hell and never broke.
i'll second that!!...
he did give that jeep hell!!!

i'd go with the 35's...not sure if you street it much, but a 35 is good all around tire...imo

I blew two sets of gears and bearings in a 30 when I was on 32 in. a/t's. But I've never had problems with my 35 a/t's. Bottom line your driving style is as much a part of your rigs capability as all the expensive parts you throw at it. Oh and learn to change your unit bearings yourself cause with either set of tires your gonna be changing them often.

thanks for all the feedback but i decided to get the ball rolling this afternoon.

I just ordered a d44 front assembly ready to bolt in with arb lockers, chromo shafts and 5.13 gears. the factory rear 44 is having the same installed.

I also got the BFG KM2's 37x12.50x17 mounted on pro comp alloys.
The hard part is waiting 3 weeks after paying for parts because some of the parts are on back order

thanks for all the feedback but i decided to get the ball rolling this afternoon.

I just ordered a d44 front assembly ready to bolt in with arb lockers, chromo shafts and 5.13 gears. the factory rear 44 is having the same installed.

I also got the BFG KM2's 37x12.50x17 mounted on pro comp alloys.
The hard part is waiting 3 weeks after paying for parts because some of the parts are on back order

You can't hide money!!! :Rockon: :smokin:

well heres the run down on why i bought the 44 front.
To upgrade the 30 i needed the following.
ARB locker $805
ARB shims 30
master install kit 105
chromo axles 700
5.13 gears 195
Dif cover 125
dif fluid 20
----------------------------
total parts $1,980.00
labor 500.00
plus i get alot stronger axle.
if its overkill who cares at this point, for that little bit of difference i feel more confident in driving my jeep to Tennessee or Pennsylvania and having a good time and making it home with out breakage.
now i just need to find a tire carrier that will hold a 37" tire without ripping my tailgate off when i open it.

well heres the run down on why i bought the 44 front.
To upgrade the 30 i needed the following.
ARB locker $805
ARB shims 30
master install kit 105
chromo axles 700
5.13 gears 195
Dif cover 125
dif fluid 20
----------------------------
total parts $1,980.00
labor 500.00
plus i get alot stronger axle.
if its overkill who cares at this point, for that little bit of difference i feel more confident in driving my jeep to Tennessee or Pennsylvania and having a good time and making it home with out breakage.
now i just need to find a tire carrier that will hold a 37" tire without ripping my tailgate off when i open it.

I'd like for a bumper mount carrier that swings out. The one below is for an XJ but it gives you the idea.

http://detoursusa.com/tailbone.php

d30 with 4.88s and open diff dana 30. 8.8 rear. no breakage as of yet. running 37x12.50 irok radials.

it's all about how you drive. you can break anything if you're hard enough on it. :smokin:

lots of money to put in small axels im running 30 fronts in both my jeeps and a 44in the 5 and a 35 in the yj but i only run 33s big as i want to go think its still going to break things so i have extra axel shafts i wouldnt go over the 35 if you have to

You're gonna get lots of stories like, "my buddy had a set...." and "I've got a Dana..." but the bottom line is that it all depends on how you wheel your jeep. I'm a light foot driver so my 37" MTRs have not blown up my D30 yet. But I've got axles sitting in my garage to upgrade when I get all the parts together, so I know it's only a matter of time. But I've got friends who've destroyed a D30 on 32's so who knows??! Look you've got a safer bet of lasting longer with 35's than with 37's. But if you're set on the 37's then by them and tell us to ---- off! It's your rig so build it however you see fit!

*looks like i should read the whole thread before posting! doh, anyway the 44 should do you well. Good choice, if you've got the coin to drop then do it! I don't see anything wrong with buying all at once. Most of us are too impatient to save money so we nickel and dime parts together until we make what you just bought! Nice work sir

38s

Holy shit!
38s on a locked dana 30 with upgraded insides and shafts and 760x u joints
and I rebuild my ujoints every 6-8months to keep them "fresh" lol but hey it works and Im not totally "lite foot" on mine
U just have to know when to let off....hahaha

ai490.photobucket.com_albums_rr268_midwayjeremy_2_9.jpg

ai490.photobucket.com_albums_rr268_midwayjeremy_3_9.jpg

ai490.photobucket.com_albums_rr268_midwayjeremy_5_5.jpg

I guess I should have read before I voted! I saw a guy break a D30 shaft on 36" iroks and I have broken u-joints with 31's. Anyways...good choice!

You're gonna get lots of stories like, "my buddy had a set...." and "I've got a Dana..." but the bottom line is that it all depends on how you wheel your jeep. I'm a light foot driver so my 37" MTRs have not blown up my D30 yet. But I've got axles sitting in my garage to upgrade when I get all the parts together, so I know it's only a matter of time. But I've got friends who've destroyed a D30 on 32's so who knows??! Look you've got a safer bet of lasting longer with 35's than with 37's. But if you're set on the 37's then by them and tell us to ---- off! It's your rig so build it however you see fit!
*looks like i should read the whole thread before posting! doh, anyway the 44 should do you well. Good choice, if you've got the coin to drop then do it! I don't see anything wrong with buying all at once. Most of us are too impatient to save money so we nickel and dime parts together until we make what you just bought! Nice work sir
Just wanted to start off by saying thanks for the props. also i would never tell anyone on here to ----off, unless i knew you of corse. I also should have started of by saying this rig see's more street time than trail time, although im only about an hour from uwharrie and my daughter wants me to take her and her friends out every other weekend.
I actually had a quote out to have spider 9's built front and rear and run 42s but its been a month and i have not heard from him yet. Besides after talking to some people that run 40s + said the local trails around here have gotten boring because they just crawl over everything as if it were flat ground. A few of the people i have talked to actually wanted to trade me my stock axles for their built up 60s just so wheeling would be a challenge to them again.
After hearing some of these stories i got to thinking of the guys i currently wheel with that are happy as can be with their 33-35s. there are already a few trails that because of my longer wheelbase i pop right up over a ledge, and their short wbase big lifted jeeps want to somersault backwards i need to turn around and drive back down the ledge if i want to stick with the group.
Anyway. Enough rambling. Thanks for all the response, and like i said earlier for a $269 dollar difference i feel a little more confident that my axle will hold up better than "a d30 polished turd"

I guess I should have read before I voted! I saw a guy break a D30 shaft on 36" iroks and I have broken u-joints with 31's. Anyways...good choice!
we need to somehow define the word "run." When a guy says I run 38s on a Dana 30 does he mean he runs it down to the mall?

we need to somehow define the word "run." When a guy says I run 38s on a Dana 30 does he mean he runs it down to the mall?

Hell yeah I run it to the mall and Crush cars with it....run rocks, mud you name it I do it....its all about how you wheel it thou you dog ur shit yeah its gunna break if you drive with some sence its gunna last.....

I actually have a friend in a YJ with 39.5x14.5r15 BOGGERS on a dana 30 and he hasnt broke anything...but like I said he drives like he has sence and doesnt dog his shit....

I dont understand why yall dont think its possible....

DANA 30 buy upgraded gears and Ujoints (Spicer 760X) and act like you got some sence and I promise you you will be fine....

Just bc you got a dumbass friend that dog, jumps, wheel hoops his shit on 32s and breaks something doesnt mean 38s even 39.5s are possible on a D30

I mean I plan on going to 60s this summer with coilover setup but only reason Im changing axles is bc I wanna run 42s

Back