Anyone wheeled since the hurricane?

I believe there are some roads closed and areas under water up there but I could be wrong.

MANY Roads are washed out or closed, Including River Road, below Uwh!
I wheeled up the street to top the CJ off with gas!
PS: Something was posted last night, I believe, about Mulenexx Rd. being washed out, in Uwh.

They're cleaning up the trails today and surveying for any damage. they should be finished up late tomorrow afternoon after that the trails should be passable

1. Troy, NC, September 20, 2018 - Many roads in the Badin Lake Recreation area are passable but have damage due to 10-12 inches of rain brought to the area by Hurricane Florence. Mullinix Rd (SR 1154) is closed due to a wash out at McLean's Creek between Hwy 109 and FR 544 (McLean's Creek Rd.). River Road (SR 1150) is closed to through traffic from Hwy 24/27 north to Hwy 109. Cotton Place Road is closed due to damage and flooding. Detours have been established as listed below. The detours are on gravel forest roads, so please use caution when driving. Forest staff continue to assess damages from the hurricane. Please "tread lightly" as you enjoy your National Forest.

All hunter access roads have been cleared of down trees and are open to the public. Forest hiking trails are open, though recreationists are encouraged to use caution as there may be down trees or debris still on trails. Flintlock Valley Shooting Range and Cove Boat Ramp are also open.

Recreation Sites and Trail Openings Through the Weekend:

Opening Thursday September 20th
    • Kings Mountain Point Day Use Area
    • Yates Place Camp
    • Uwharrie Hunt Camp
    • West Morris Mountain Campground
    • Badin Lake Campground and Group Campground. If you have a reservation beginning on Friday, September 21st, you will be able to arrive for the normal check in time of 4 pm
    Opening Friday September 21st
    • Canebrake Campground. If you have a reservation beginning on Friday, September 21st, you will be able to arrive for the normal check in time of 4 pm.
    Opening Saturday September 22nd
    • Badin Lake OHV Trails will open on Saturday, September 21st. Please use caution and "tread lightly" as there may be down trees or debris still on trails.
    • Wood Run Mountain Biking and Hiking Trails
    • Badin Lake Equestrian Trails- please use caution and "tread lightly" as there may be down trees or debris still on trails.
    Sites that will remain closed until further notice
    • Cotton Place Road including Cotton Place OHV trail head and River Trail (713) are closed due to damage and flooding.
    • Arrowhead Campground water system is down. The campground will remain closed through the weekend. Individuals with reservations will be contacted by the reservation company and receive a refund. Please do not contact the District Office for a refund that will be handled by the reservation company.
    Forest Roads Detours

Mullinix Road Detour
    • If you are traveling north on Hwy 109 from Troy NC, follow Hwy 109 North for about 10 miles to SR 1153, (Reservation Rd.) and turn left to Badin Lake Recreation Area and Uwharrie Hunt Camp, then turn right on FR 576 (Moccasin Creek Road). From there follow the Forest Service signs to your desired location. The quickest route to the Cane Brake Horse Camp is from FR 576, turn right on FR 544 (McLean's Creek Rd.) at FR 554 and turn right.
    • If you are traveling South on Hwy 109 follow directions above but turn right onto SR 1153 (Reservation Road) and turn right to the Badin Lake Recreation Area.
    River Road Detour
    • Traveling east from Albemarle NC on Hwy 24/27 continue into Troy NC and follow the signs to Hwy 109 North. Follow Hwy 109 North for about 10 miles to SR 1153 (Reservation Road) and turn left to Badin Lake Recreation Area and Uwharrie Hunt Camp, then to turn right on FR 576 (Moccasin Creek Road). From there follow the Forest Service signs to your desired location. The quickest route to the Cane Brake Horse Camp is from FR 576, turn right on FR 544 (McLean's Creek Rd.) at FR 554 and turn right.

The National Forests in North Carolina will continue to update their Facebook and Twitter accounts along with information on their website at www. fs.usda.gov/nfsnc.

Any update on this? Did anyone go out there this past weekend? I have a campsite reserved at Arrowhead for this coming weekend. The campground's website said they will be closed until Wednesday, with the possibility of an extended closure if necessary. How are the trails?

All the trails in the Forest are open. Me and @Chris_Keziah were there Saturday. Seems the forest service was quick to clear the trails, however the road to the entrance of Daniel (Cotton Place) is washed out and was still closed.
Not sure about the campground, we didn’t go over that way.
We ran Rocky Mtn Loop to Sawmill, Slab Pile over to Dutch John, Dickey Bell, then the backside of Daniel. No issues, but there is a washed out section on Dutch John now just before the Hill climb that has exposed a huge rock vein that if left alone will make an awesome ledge/obstacle. I really hope they don’t fill it in but they probably will.

All the trails in the Forest are open. Me and @Chris_Keziah were there Saturday. Seems the forest service was quick to clear the trails, however the road to the entrance of Daniel (Cotton Place) is washed out and was still closed.
Not sure about the campground, we didn’t go over that way.
We ran Rocky Mtn Loop to Sawmill, Slab Pile over to Dutch John, Dickey Bell, then the backside of Daniel. No issues, but there is a washed out section on Dutch John now just before the Hill climb that has exposed a huge rock vein that if left alone will make an awesome ledge/obstacle. I really hope they don’t fill it in but they probably will.
The wash out on Dutch John was there a month before the hurricane. I thought it was awesome then but I'm sure it saw more erosion during the rain.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Anybody know the status of Mullinix Road repairs? I was hoping to take that route to the campground, instead of dragging my trailer all the way down 576.

Mullinix was still closed on Saturday.

@Tim C i hadn’t hit DJ in a while so that was new to me. It is very close to being a nice ledge now. I imagine an open diff rig would have to work a little bit on that now. I’d love to see it get more challenging over time if they will just let it be. We shall see.

Anybody know the status of Mullinix Road repairs? I was hoping to take that route to the campground, instead of dragging my trailer all the way down 576.

I think they're trying to get it repaired before the Jamboree but we shall see.

The wash out on Dutch John was there a month before the hurricane. I thought it was awesome then but I'm sure it saw more erosion during the rain.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

There were clear plow marks from diff's with little tires. If it washes out a bit more it'll get a lot more fun. It's been months since I rode Dutch John last but I know it wasn't there earlier in the year. There was a tree that is going to cause issues for taller rigs after the creek crossing.
SPwCF0u-kXhucVOMaa6JN2KH4lvMZTpFGpmURuTJAG7Pbt_i_vikV0N1C6Lzj8xJ36Odl1EFl1JDNtn-v2IBPnTayKnrA5lRrtJwFX-onBxVbDLk4qJ7gf16UG8aWjS3_rsQdihBntWVd7eb7lsZpyTdNg1y7rZlh-KVB6wodZGERqVuRJPx4x31VweCGcvtQ4YYnxfacwn_pa8Glq-dyGN4HTQi5uTHsINmPy_q6-vLMGOp1I9FPdu8-QavznGhJOTKEA0KIhddQ8HCAy1qOoLVO2DzTGta4mvyXMTFGqLHso3i1pH9X2V5sQkwslIzBYnBePJvUMhusttu5TdNuwBSktxjOAUfIIrNGrdqedwb2unetxvj1S-Z00I8VYf57z1oKwhABrmfnni97sTnz8tEBgBF-MRUyFmOO_cal4d4dxWPozw4UXa_8rWcM3R_M1HMJcb9xc7h53R3Hhbx8ox5Eql-rmf40FW1F3Mf6c9spheswD7cgFEwDuzop-1dAzi4PzPHf5N0VzsAGSzxNSX4zEHHdQaQxO7QiCnrCM-GkOHcv9Gd7A9MeIyar4mB4TWtzbF8zAEZbuysBIP2UUKAyRn9kJQf5qG4lcclC2vzwz7j68fMKNhs7b5_VzY=w1255-h941-no

There were clear plow marks from diff's with little tires. If it washes out a bit more it'll get a lot more fun. It's been months since I rode Dutch John last but I know it wasn't there earlier in the year. There was a tree that is going to cause issues for taller rigs after the creek crossing.
SPwCF0u-kXhucVOMaa6JN2KH4lvMZTpFGpmURuTJAG7Pbt_i_vikV0N1C6Lzj8xJ36Odl1EFl1JDNtn-v2IBPnTayKnrA5lRrtJwFX-onBxVbDLk4qJ7gf16UG8aWjS3_rsQdihBntWVd7eb7lsZpyTdNg1y7rZlh-KVB6wodZGERqVuRJPx4x31VweCGcvtQ4YYnxfacwn_pa8Glq-dyGN4HTQi5uTHsINmPy_q6-vLMGOp1I9FPdu8-QavznGhJOTKEA0KIhddQ8HCAy1qOoLVO2DzTGta4mvyXMTFGqLHso3i1pH9X2V5sQkwslIzBYnBePJvUMhusttu5TdNuwBSktxjOAUfIIrNGrdqedwb2unetxvj1S-Z00I8VYf57z1oKwhABrmfnni97sTnz8tEBgBF-MRUyFmOO_cal4d4dxWPozw4UXa_8rWcM3R_M1HMJcb9xc7h53R3Hhbx8ox5Eql-rmf40FW1F3Mf6c9spheswD7cgFEwDuzop-1dAzi4PzPHf5N0VzsAGSzxNSX4zEHHdQaQxO7QiCnrCM-GkOHcv9Gd7A9MeIyar4mB4TWtzbF8zAEZbuysBIP2UUKAyRn9kJQf5qG4lcclC2vzwz7j68fMKNhs7b5_VzY=w1255-h941-no

Can't tell how its bound up on the left and right of it. Did it look like something that could be relocated to the side with winch/straps/snatch blocks? Or is a saw going to be needed to get it down and out of the way? If it's still there on Saturday, I'd be willing to try to pull it down and out of the way. But I'm not carrying a saw with me.

I assume Cotton Place is closed between Moccasin and Daniel? Planning to be there this Saturday with a couple Jeeps...Did you see any reason we couldn't run Daniel backwards to the CP parking lot, then turn around and run forward? (Other than the downside of not having an 'out' other than to make it all the back up the trail?)

I assume Cotton Place is closed between Moccasin and Daniel? Planning to be there this Saturday with a couple Jeeps...Did you see any reason we couldn't run Daniel backwards to the CP parking lot, then turn around and run forward? (Other than the downside of not having an 'out' other than to make it all the back up the trail?)

You could do that, we ran all the way to the top. Being in a short wheel base TJ I wasn't about to go down if I didn't have too.

I will be careful going down the front side of Daniel will that much rain as they had there is no telling how bad washed out it is near the bottom

I will be careful going down the front side of Daniel will that much rain as they had there is no telling how bad washed out it is near the bottom

Its supposed to rain today, tomorrow, and Friday, but be nice on Saturday and Sunday. The rain should keep the dust down, and make for some good trail riding this weekend.

Back