Attention NC4X4 Family and Friends…

Drunktaco

Señor Member
You never know how fast things can change or a small accident can turn into a much larger ordeal.

As some of you may or may not know, our good friend Tom
@Tom@Hilltop_Machine had a bit of an accident in his shop a little while back. A small, simple job turned into a painful and costly one in just a few moments.

While Tom was changing a filler neck gasket out on his Belvedere, some fuel started pouring out and started a fire. The fire quickly spread, and while Tom and his furry sidekick Chaos did make it out, Tom was left with burns on over 54% and the shop has suffered some significant damage. As for the Belvedere, it took the Viking way out, all the way to Valhalla.

The shop can be rebuilt, the car and equipment can be replaced, and although it is sad and heartbreaking to see it all come to a temporary halt, Tom and Chaos made it out alive.

Because of the medical cost, and insurance issues, this has taken a hard hit financially, Bess (Tom’s amazing wife), has started up a GoFundMe not only to help with medical, but also to help raise a donation to the first responders and volunteer groups that helped during the fire.

I’ll attach links to both his YouTube video, where you can hear how it all played out and see the aftermath (and some gnarly pictures of a crispy Tom), along with the GoFundMe for those who would be willing to donate.

CE39DD51-B800-4BB9-8B82-B721033F1162.jpeg
8B6D9850-6681-4F16-A974-AADD2DD3AE00.jpeg

I talked to Tom on the 16th of January and he told me he had a fire and got burned and then he immediatly started asking about how I was doing and I guess I downplayed the seriousness of this because he didnt seem that worried about it. Man I feel like an ass, I should have followed up. Sorry Tom

I hate to hear this. I know that fire in the shop is something many of us fear, and mostly hope never happens. Keep up with the recovery Tom. I wish you a speedy recovery and will keep yall in our prayers.

I would encourage you to post videos of your cleanup process. I know getting well is the priority. YT viewers seem to like to support recovery/self-improvement efforts, and i think even the smallest thing could help someone going through a similar recovery in the future.

Man, hate to hear this! I'll help as best we can.

Small update for everyone,

I met up with Tom today and went down to the shop with him to look around and get a game plan down as far as what to do and where to start.

We’ll start here,

Tom is doing good and is in good spirits. He’s healing up pretty good and everything is looking good, just a few places that are going to take some time to heal.

The shop is going to need a lot of clean up. Insulation is going to have to be removed and hauled off, nearly all the lights are melted, and the breaker box likes to throw sparks and trip breakers like it’s trying to start a new dance fad. Everything is covered in soot, melted material, and other gunk and all things bare metal have flash rusted pretty bad.

We checked a few pieces to see how bad the rust was and I think it will all clean up with a little elbow grease, but everything is going to have to be swept, mopped, wiped down, and oiled up a bit.

The shop is going to need some attention to the roof, new insulation, a few new panels maybe, some garage doors, and electrical help.

I guess the first thing to address is the cleanup phase. We have thought about maybe trying to do a workday of sorts one weekend, if anyone would like to volunteer some time or something to get together and get everything cleaned up and somewhat in order. If you think this is something you would be interested in doing, please let us know and we’ll see if we can get a time/date together and schedule it.

I took a few pictures but honestly, pictures don’t do it justice.

BF2B7746-758B-47F0-B55D-CF6F2DAEBA89.jpeg
3A6DE23C-4D60-4112-8236-12865D969C10.jpeg
22A0F236-19E0-4590-8C8D-088C60F710B5.jpeg

Last edited:
Small update for everyone,

I met up with Tom today and went down to the shop with him to look around and get a game plan down as far as what to do and where to start.

We’ll start here,

Tom is doing good and is in good spirits. He’s healing up pretty good and everything is looking good, just a few places that are going to take some time to heal.

The shop is going to need a lot of clean up. Insulation is going to have to be removed and hauled off, nearly all the lights are melted, and the breaker box likes to throw sparks and trip breakers like it’s trying to start a new dance fad. Everything is covered in soot, melted material, and other gunk and all things bare metal have flash rusted pretty bad.

We checked a few pieces to see how bad the rust was and I think it will all clean up with a little elbow grease, but everything is going to have to be swept, mopped, wiped down, and oiled up a bit.

The shop is going to need some attention to the roof, new insulation, a few new panels maybe, some garage doors, and electrical help.

I guess the first thing to address is the cleanup phase. We have thought about maybe trying to do a workday of sorts one weekend, if anyone would like to volunteer some time or something to get together and get everything cleaned up and somewhat in order. If you think this is something you would be interested in doing, please let us know and we’ll see if we can get a time/date together and schedule it.

I took a few pictures but honestly, pictures don’t do it justice.

View attachment 392175View attachment 392176View attachment 392177
Yes the CORE guys are in, Tom is our original pres and longtime friend. I asked yesterday and he said when it warms up some. We have many that have committed, just waiting on some times. I'm sure it wont all get done in a weekend and that will work better for helpers anyway as I'm sure we cant all make it the same weekend. Tom isn't used to having or asking for help so he (are you listening Tom?) will have to get over it and allow some help. Just let us know when we can come and help scrub or whatever. AND what to bring, fogging oil, WD40, steel wool,...? Do you need tarps, plastic, ...? Let us know buddy.

Yes the CORE guys are in, Tom is our original pres and longtime friend. I asked yesterday and he said when it warms up some. We have many that have committed, just waiting on some times. I'm sure it wont all get done in a weekend and that will work better for helpers anyway as I'm sure we cant all make it the same weekend. Tom isn't used to having or asking for help so he (are you listening Tom?) will have to get over it and allow some help. Just let us know when we can come and help scrub or whatever. AND what to bring, fogging oil, WD40, steel wool,...? Do you need tarps, plastic, ...? Let us know buddy.
That’s why I’m trying to organize so it’s not technically Tom asking! We’ve got a few things and I’m working on a list of what we’ve got, what we need, and when we need what. We’ve got some rags, sponges and scotch brite, some WD-30 and a few things like that to help coat everything. I’m sure we will need more though.

Also, the shift work/multiple weekends/days would probably be a good idea too!

Let me know what’s needed electrically. I’ve got some contacts and friends there and a (very) little skill too

Let me know what’s needed electrically. I’ve got some contacts and friends there and a (very) little skill too
That would be awesome! We’ve got a pretty good electrician, but supplies is going to be the trick. We’ll definitely be needing some metal clad wire to re-run several circuits, along with lights, but that’s all we know for sure now. @Tom@Hilltop_Machine can probably name some more things though and we will definitely let you know as time goes on what is needed.

Man, this is tough to see. I'm glad to see Tom is is reasonably good spirits and will make a good recovery. Burns are no joke.

I'm guessing the fire department responded pretty quickly since the front half of the shop doesn't appear to have been as engulfed as the rear?

Thank goodness it didn't last longer and relieve the fuel from the propane tank! :eek:
1676655937907.png

Dang I'm sorry to hear this for him, I don't know him but I can imagine the toll and heartache this must have on him. Glad he is recovering well and to see all the help being offered!

Several people have asked about the automatic fire extinguishers. I got them like 15 years ago off the net and had them in my old shop. I did a quick search and I can't find them. I do see there are abc dry chem balls you hang from your ceiling, but not my particular style. I will do some more looking around.

Several people have asked about the automatic fire extinguishers. I got them like 15 years ago off the net and had them in my old shop. I did a quick search and I can't find them. I do see there are abc dry chem balls you hang from your ceiling, but not my particular style. I will do some more looking around.

What are/were they filled with, water? Can they be refilled and a new sprinkler head put on?

Duane

As I don't get on here often enough, I too had not heard this. Really Sorry for it to happen to anyone! I was a Volunteer Fireman, for 30 years. Fire damage, is probably near the top of the list, for Hard & Nasty, to clean up! As I use my basement as my garage, I try to be Extra careful I don't start any fires! That doesn't mean the CJ, of lawn tractor, or What, couldn't short out, though.

Back