Atv or Sxs for kids? Next step after power wheels?

REDLYNER

Mall Crawling Race Rig
My boy outgrew his power wheels after his 3rd birthday. So I bought a 24 volt atv that did 10mph, which would probably still be ok, but it's made of Chinesium metal and won't stay together.

So what is the next leap for my boy who is now 5? I see a bunch of Chinese 70 to 110cc atvs (with parent speed controls) in the $550 to $750 range, are there any other options? My son is taking to the go fast stuff and I'd like to keep him in something that lets him continue to learn.

What is the next evolution of riding toy after power wheels and the 24 volt stuff? Not interested in 2 wheeled toys ;-).

We bought our son a 250 rancher Honda for his 5th Christmas . ....he stil can ride it 11 years later

Parker has a Raptor 90 we are thinking about getting rid of because he doesn't ride it much. Mostly because I don't have anything to ride with him right now. When we were looking everyone one suggested skipping the 50 because he would outgrow it quickly. Polaris has a cool looking 90 too. I just got a good deal on the Raptor used.
yJzhRTjer2c9gfMm4Yc4DRNJG-tUjrNdvsY3TvH54_BX-Uis0ZsATaf6LfVRRLZ8caVbyykoslxQJalrmSCTMvfBYU2CppJCfJVFaqtLmH9_pveKdvUw2NLW0a1I6Pa1dt5PGNaXNWHRTyHdXhTdruJvP32hMZM-sDvh_mLl7iTIOkyhZ-K2TK2ZzEtXCqyOjEyEQtNtjZVfgxCWcJEiKWKx4YrrknGdA8gDB-LZBkNYJhNrk3uAMZ79LxgGYM_SicoYDpZURDr1BEwYJ4Yn-Y505cJ6DveQMfMfeGU1BgXAJWVAfxMyWnIO_T07N0SVW0GGkItYjCl0sUFCPqtRYOUIWV__fuA-96jcfenAcF_2dEHZ_ndLbWUEM4fcHzyZkBgrp_i9abO801JGqJP4QLUkKFqfDurzIFalNLWBCWrUE9vJGXu-Xw6oFky0Q9m-r9pW_yV7NWSaqf7tqjMA4uC5yZtAT4-PNjqIJ5cPEQ-Blif8Ogk7cksThSvPykwLz6Kah4R88bGQkVtdK1HXQpcZuIKEDxCp-3SGRFYkDW1Nc1iRvkxfwf6cVc6fhydmteWx1HIUu8FRGAHNTB22tYRcea7Xyzh4u6nJ7hTrJSpmGcPIHaFI=w1423-h1067-no

I know you said no 2-wheels, but as someone who logged many thousands of miles on 2-wheels in the dirt from about 12 yrs old to 32, I am going to lay down my thoughts on that. For typical back yard riding the four wheeler Power Wheels and next level up stuff is safer than two wheels. Once you start going riding on real trails where there are off camber sections, and hills, I firmly believe that two wheels are much safer than four.

Therefore, I highly recommend starting out on a proper 2-wheel bike like a Honda CRF50. You can even buy training wheels for them. They also have a throttle stop that can be adjusted to limit the speed for beginners.

Crf50

CRF50 with training wheels for little beginners:

attachment.php

Fuck training wheels.

We bought Robert and William balance bikes. Within a week, they were riding down the grass hill from the driveway to the barn, and Willie wasn't even two at the time.

...and Willie wasn't even two at the time.

On a different forum, people's heads would be exploding.

"He let a two year old ride a dirt bike?" Boooosh! (that's the sound of exploding heads, or probably a watermelon)

*Knock knock*
"Hi, we're from the Dept of Social Services. Someone called us about your forum postings..."

:D

Last edited:
My little monkey has a eton 40 got it when she was 3 but she was not a huge fan she is 4 now and rides it a good bit but would still rather just ride with me the bike is a pos with a weedeater engine but we have not been able to kill it yet and its been through a few of my friends kinds over the years

414d60bbcfedbd3f5ff6d0b658020540.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On a different forum, people's heads would be exploding.

"He let a two year old ride a dirt bike?" Boooosh! (that's the sound of exploding heads, or probably a watermelon)

No, these are push bikes. No pedals, no motors. Just two wheels, handlebars, and a seat.

No, these are push bikes. No pedals, no motors. Just two wheels, handlebars, and a seat.

I wish I had known about those before. I didn't learn about them until my boy was about 3 yrs old, and by then we had already bought him a starter bicycle with training wheels. I took an old starter bicycle and removed the pedals/crank etc to turn it into a strider bike, but my boy wanted nothing to do with it and refused even get on it. I wish I had never let him even see training wheels. A friend of mine started his boy out on a strider bike at 2 yrs old. By 3 yrs old, his boy could ride/pedal a normal bicycle without training wheels. My boy just turned 6 and still has training wheels, but he has zero interest in riding his bicycle. He just wants to ride on the tag-a-long behind my bike.

My godson started out on a CRF50, now onto a CRF80 and working his way into a KTM SX65 that they just got. The bikes are his thing. His little sister started out on a PW50. She liked it but wanted to try a quad so they just got her a Polaris Scrambler 90. She took to both really well and they ride once a month or more in the mountains outside Phoenix (mostly fire road and 2 track stuff) and multiple times per week in their backyard. Its just a matter of what they are more comfortable on. If he is used to a quad, something like that Polaris Sportsman/Scrambler/Predator 90 is a good option. IIRC my cousin paid $750 for his and all it needed was a carb cleaning. Its immaculate otherwise.

Great feedback!

My son learned to ride his bike without training wheels when he was 3 (he's super tall). He rides his bike all over The Flats parking lot play area, hills in our neighborhood, etc. But I've had too many friends wreck on dirt bikes and motorcycles. Our family enjoys competition and there's no way I could avoid the inevitable of dirt bike racing.

I value my collar bone, wrists, and knees too much to get us into that. Trying to keep it 4 wheel related as long as possible :).

Those electric trials bikes are really interesting. No noise, no tearing up the yard, and more exercise than most kids can manage.

I'm pretty sure if I buy one, I'll end up with a half dozen of them, though.

Those electric trials bikes are really interesting. No noise, no tearing up the yard, and more exercise than most kids can manage.

I'm pretty sure if I buy one, I'll end up with a half dozen broken bones, though.
FIFY

Great feedback!

My son learned to ride his bike without training wheels when he was 3 (he's super tall). He rides his bike all over The Flats parking lot play area, hills in our neighborhood, etc. But I've had too many friends wreck on dirt bikes and motorcycles. Our family enjoys competition and there's no way I could avoid the inevitable of dirt bike racing.

I value my collar bone, wrists, and knees too much to get us into that. Trying to keep it 4 wheel related as long as possible :).

There are race series for the quadtards too ya know...VXCS and MidEast both run XC quad races. And there are 3 GNCC's within 3 hours of your house...just sayin. You're fawked either way.

Back