AutoCAD

orange150

I just installed AutoCAD 2000 on my comp... no real reason for this post other than I am really excited to play around with it!!! now off to play and teach my self how to use it!

good luck... it can be a bitch some times... i mess around with it from time to time... never made anything useful though :lol:

if you need anyhelp with using ACAD just pm me......i use it all the time for work and have been using it for the last 15 years or so

good luck learning:beer:

eh, the 2d stuff is sissy! Get into the 3d!

Im a senior, been messing with autocad for 3 years now, we just got into 3D which is TONS better than the 2D, really intresting stuff

yeah, 3d is where it's at... i played around with the newest version our design department at work just got the other day.

i prefer solid works for any part and assembly design. it's what i've got more experience and knowledge with though, i just know the basics on ACAD.

you should be able to get a student version of solid works for free if you're interested mike, or at least you could when i was there.

RufusTheRam said:
yeah, 3d is where it's at... i played around with the newest version our design department at work just got the other day.
i prefer solid works for any part and assembly design. it's what i've got more experience and knowledge with though, i just know the basics on ACAD.
you should be able to get a student version of solid works for free if you're interested mike, or at least you could when i was there.

I dont think our school PC's have solid works. Its much more challenging building a 3D object in autocad anyways :D

yea the class at state uses solid works, i tried to get into it this semester but it was all full. hopefully next fall i can, my dad also has the 2004 edition... i dont know the difference but im suprised my lap top even handled this

Hey,

i'm taking GC250 this semester at NCSU. (intro class to autocad). my professor gave me AutoCad 2000 to load on my computer at home, which is cool. the computers on campus have 2006 on them. it's slow going right now. hopefully it's a learning curve thing and eventually i'll get the hang of this program. frustrating right now tho, lol.

i also took GC210 last year, which is the intro course to SolidWorks. very cool program. hopefully i'll be able to get into the 2nd level of that next fall.

later,
bigmac

who do you have for gc250? hopefully not mathews, lol.

gc120 takes you through the basics of solidworks also. you go through all the basic commands, build a few pieces, and a few assemblys. final project is a self designed assembly (or that's the way it all was when i took it). mine was an adjustable control arm IIRC.

I've been using AutoCad for 12 years. Started on version 8 but haven't upgraded since AutoCAD 2004 I like it pretty good. Use to basically do nothing BUT AutoCAD design, but got old after 10 years. Needed to change pace.
Most of the architects I worked with now have switched to Architectual desktop (started as an add-on to AutoCad) and are now designing in 3D (mostly by accident because A.D. makes you pic wall height/depth/material before drawing a line, as opposed to just laying out a building the old way in 2D)
I've dabbled in 3D and designed a few things with CadVent and A.D. but it's still 100x faster to lay out Architectual/Mechanical/Plumbing in 2D and just roll on than it is to pick elevations, as well as plan placement. Especially since when it's sent to the printers it's all in 2D anyway. And these days, stuff gets thrown together so fast that theres ABSOLUTELY no coordination done by the architects anyway...so whats the point in 3D design in that area anyway? It's really only good for fabrication/industrial design anymore.
If I were into more machining/fabrication I probibly wouldn't even mess with autocad. WAY too many virtual programs out there that are loads more user friendly.

Autocad is fun?

All this time I thought it was work. Huh.

:flipoff2:

Hey,

yep, you guessed it, i've got matthews.

later,
bigmac

haha. he's not too bad really, just a little odd. i had him for gc250 also. construction technology is a good class to compliment gc250, i can't remember the number off hand though. ted something.

Back