AW4 or tf999 in my 92 yj???

cburgin

I was going to run a th400/203/205 combo that I have but by the time I buy the adapter and the special Torque converter to adapt the chevy trans to the 4.0L, I could sell this set up and go with a 999 or an aw4 and an atlas case! So, I ask, does anyone have any input on either transmission.
Pros: aw4 has overdrive, is proven to be strong, and is easy to come by. Cons: It makes a lot of heat and is computer controlled.
Pros:999 is a bolt up deal if you get everything you need in one shot, stout if the motor is in stock form. Cons: not so available, and no overdrive..

There are 2 versions. lock up and non lock up. I ran a non lock up behind a built 4.2 motor for awhile. It held up fine. I had the larger drums stuffed with an extra clutch pack in each and a heavy duty band. Tweeked the valve body too for alittle extra fluid pressure.

The AW4 doesn't require being "built"...know why there are so many out there for cheap??? They don't usually give any problems up to 600hp. I ran one behind a healthy 4.6 stroker,Atlas,39 krawlers, and beat it to death for quite awhile with zero issues.

can you put a manual valve body in it to eliminate the computer?

The AW4 doesn't require being "built"...know why there are so many out there for cheap??? They don't usually give any problems up to 600hp. I ran one behind a healthy 4.6 stroker,Atlas,39 krawlers, and beat it to death for quite awhile with zero issues.

Ditto, a bud of mine just installed the 2nd stroker (approx. 250-275HP where first was bit milder) in front of his AW4. "Total disregard" sums up his driving style accurately!

Several places make manual shift boxes in all varieties...from a twist knob, joy stick, even paddle shifters for the aw4.

Greg, are the computers for the AW4 standalone or shared with the engine? IIRC, the earlier models were standalone, but changed at some point... any idea where this break occured year/model wise?

the computers are stand alone. There is a guy on pirate that makes shifters for them that allow you to choose the gear you want and cut off the TC lockup. However, when you are on the road you can run it as a normal tranny if you have all the wiring hooked up. I am going with the AW4 after searching a great deal...

should I look for one from the same year as my yj or should they be the same from 91-95?

So your going to get a passdrop atlas and use your tons eh?:Rockon:

Back