awesome commuter car

2 cyl TD, w/ 20 hp.

But top speed is about 75 mph - wonder how long it takes to get there!

Did like this - "One reason for the low consumption is the low weight of 450kg"
But, "The car is small but still provides space for 4".

Seems to me - 4 people would add about 50% to the weight! Think that exceeds the GVWR?

Regardless of my chiding - very cool concept. Put me down for one.

forgot to mention there is also going to be a 50hp version with a top speed of over 200kmh :D

I talked to a guy in Murphy last Friday evening that had a new VW Jetta TDI. He had driven up from West Palm Beach, FL to Murphy, 776.3 miles on one tank! I think it cost him about $41.xx to fill it back up.

If I was in the market for a commuter car that would spend alot of time on the road, I'd be in a TDI.

i wish we could buy some of the same econo poop boxes like you see in europe, no frills, box on wheels with small diesel engine.. sign me up...

SMARTs are slated for release in US next year.

Notice Jetta TDIs aren't sold w/ rebates, special sales, promos, etc. VW dosn't have to, they can barely keep 'em in stock, selling like the Ferbies and Tickle Me Elmos. Small wonder.
I tell 'ya, my '95 Tracer is a real POS. But I LOVE the fact that I TREAT it like a POS and still get 34 mpg.

RatLabGuy said:
SMARTs are slated for release in US next year.

I heard that on the news as well..canada gets em this year

r1786508628.jpg

Here is the Asian version

2006_06_28t113025_419x450_us_autos_daimlerchrysler_smart_launch.jpg

I passed a SMART Fortwo on the Interstate in Atlanta about a month ago...couldn't imagine feeling safe in something that size on the road...

Greg

yea ive seen one SMART already in cornelius. when i went to europe, it was funny because 2/3's of cars were SMARTs and the other 1/3 were porsche's, ferrari's, lambos, and such.

tdi jettas are awesome.
diesels typically get 20-30% better fuel efficiency and they sound way cooler! a lot of people even make their own diesel from used fry oil.
i read some stat once that stated that if 20% of the vehicles in the U.S. were diesels (instead of <3%), we would reduce our national fuel consumption enough that we could do without middle eastern petrol... that sounds a little far-fetched, but then again, what if?!

Yeah, we crack on my roommate all the time about driving a Jetta, but since he averages 45-50 mpg I can see why he bouhgt the TDI. He once got 67 mpg in the midwest where its all flat. I think the manual trany is what helps the most.

Back