Axial problems

AdamH

Axial SCX10 (silver JKUR)

At full speed I hit a concrete curb with the front tires. The Jeep still runs out just fine on flat surfaces but if I try to climb over anything of size the tires stops and all I hear is a grinding noise.

On the outside all looks normal. What have I tore up on the inside before i start taking the components apart?

Thanks

Do all tires stop or just the fronts? If its just the fronts, you probably stripped out the locker.The locker is probably a piece of plastic unless you have upgraded it. if its all the tires, something in the gear box/transfer case looking thing is probably stripped.

yep all four stop so I was thinking it was something with the gear box. It's completely stock FYI.

I'll take the box apart as soon as I have time to confirm they are broken/stripped. Thanks for the lead on the steel gears.

Could also be the spur as said above. Either way you'll have to pull the tranny/motor as its all one unit. Takes maybe 5-10 min.

so I purchased the steel gear set to just now take mine apart and realize I already have steel gears in it. They look fine.

Its the spur gear that is eat all up. probably 3/4s of the teeth are ground down. I looked on-line and only see stock plastic replacements. What am I missing? Is there an upgrade available?

Last edited:
If the backlash wasn't set correctly it will still eat the gear set regardless of material.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ok - I just took it out of the box and ran it like it was. Guess I will order a new spur gear direct replacement. thx.

Since you have the silver rubicon, it will have a 48 pitch 87 tooth spur gear. All of the new Axial rigs are coming with 32 pitch gears so you probably see a bunch of that. Robinson Racing makes a steel spur gear in 48 pitch that will work for you

Back